Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 17x25 Paper - Any Suggestions?

Re: 17x25 Paper - Any Suggestions?

Its not really the same paper. Many people like myself tested the two and came to the that conclusion. I didn't like the Hahnemuhle version. That left me hanging and in search of a new paper. As a result I switched to Canson Platine Fiber Rag, which IMO is better than either one.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Try buying a 17" roll of Ilford Gold Fibre then you can cut it whatever lenth you want.

Quote Originally Posted by JC Kuba View Post
    It was reincarnated as Harman Gloss Baryta 320gsm by Hahnemuhle

http://harman.hahnemuehle.com/media/...lossbaryta.pdf

- JC
    That's not the same paper at all.

Once you get over the trauma of finding it a bit different, it's quite a nice paper.

Their profiles & paper setting recommendations (for Canon WF) are awful, but I have a new custom profile & really like the results for both BW & color. My impression is that the paper base is a bit creamier in tone, & its surface looks just a little less glossy. With Canon Lucia inks (v. 2) there's never any gloss differential. I wish they made 24x30 sheets (see my curses above re: un-flatten-able rolls).

And above all, its darkroom-like smell is so nostalgic.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    ...I use Harman Baryta because its paper surface is the closest I can come to classic Portriga Rapid 111. I use the regular white (which is just a bit creamy) for color, & Warmtone for BW. ...
    Kirk
    Kirk I'm curious about your impressions of the Harman. When I tested it the "regular" it used a lot of brighteners which looked, and measured, quite blue.
    Since many of us remark about our impressions it's easy to expect differing descriptions of "white". But the reason I'm posting is.. I'm wondering if, when the product was taken over by Hahnemuhle, they changed the base hue and/or took out some OBAs, hence your impression as creamy. If so I'd try it again. I am familiar with the warm tone version, which to me is much closer to Portriga base hue.
    So, anyone know if there was a change in the product?
    Thanks,
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    ...As a result I switched to Canson Platine Fiber Rag, which IMO is better than either one.
    Except that it doesn't seem to come in 17x25.

This is an issue for me, too. Sometimes, I want to print from 6x9 and use the full width of the 3800.

Rick "also considering 17x25 options" Denney

Hi Tyler,

I'm not a qualified Harman historian, so I can't say for sure. When Harman FBAl Glossy came out, I didn't use it because it looked too bright. I didn't save the samples, so I can't compare to the current paper. I chose to use Warmtone instead; it was 'Portriga-like' for sure. I use the current Warmtone for BW. I have an old Zone System step-wedge printed on Portriga (with dose of archival selenium toner), & I get results that match it pretty well on the current WT if I print in RGB & add .01 R in Levels.

Lately, however, I've been using the Hahnemuhle version of Gloss Baryta for scanned color negs, & it doesn't seem so OB-ish to me. Definitely less OBs than Epson Exhibition Fiber. I'm using Glossy Baryta because you can't print color very well on Warmtone. Hahnemuhle says it's meant to be BW paper, & the substrate skews the colors a bit. Glossy Bayta looks better.

This doesn't really answer your question, so I hope you'll give it a try & report what you see.

Kirk T.

I second the opinions about being cautious in the use of cut down roll paper in the Epson 38xx. The Epson is subject to head strikes if the paper isn't flat enough, and/or it seems if the room humidity isn't high enough. I have used cut down roll paper with success, but it was not a very curly paper to begin with. Some effort at flattening may be required for the current crop of baryta fibre papers.
    I have a friend who uses Inkpress in his 3800 with excellent results. I would not dismiss this paper because of one bad batch. I've had bad batches of Museo and Hahnemuhle. The supplier exchanged the goods and all was well.
    Bill Peters

How true is it that 17x25 IMO is quite flexible? Can it allow me to print pictures with a range of aspect ratios? like from portrait to landscape example : 16x20(4:5) to 16x24(2:3)?? 17x22 paper is really very popular because almost all major manufacturers offers it..

Peter

I've been using the Inkpress papers for many years, although I print on the warm tone rag fine art paper rather than photo papers. I've been totally happy with their quality and paper.
    From the inkpress website ...
    Inkpress Rag is manufactured at Monadnock Paper Mill- the most experienced paper mill in the country- they have been manufacturing paper since 1819. Monadnock is one of a very few prime manufacturers – the substrate and coatings are produced in-house. This is the utmost base for Inkpress Rag's unquestionable consistency. To learn more about Monadnock ... www.mpm.com.

Peter