Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 inch scanning with V700/750

Octogenarian

Re: 8x10 inch scanning with V700/750

Faith j,

Amy, Ted's wife, set me straight about the date that he passed away in post #7 of this thread.

I apologize for my lapse of memory.

It just seems like Ted has been gone for a long time. I miss him, and I'm sure that Amy misses him too.

Ted and I field tested a 4x5 Chinese wooden camera for Jim, at Midwest Photo. We shared our impressions by phone a few times then advised Jim that it was a piece of junk.

Although I did not attend, I am familiar with the scanning workshops that Michael and Ted presented at at Midwest Photo.

I can honestly say that Ted, more than anyone else, motivated me on this forum to learn how to scan and print my negatives digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Faith j,

Ted and I field tested a 4x5 Chinese wooden camera for Jim
    I remember that...he always wanted to be able to love a pretty wooden camera, and it really pained him when the camera ultimately didn't deserve to be loved.

I'd like to thank Sanking for the wet mounting method. It worked great except I had better results when I mounted the emulsion side to the glass. I tried using some mylar to sandwich it as well but I was getting better results without it. I found that a height around .5mm to work really well for the lens that can fit 8x10.

Quality wise I don't notice much difference in the sharpness but the amount of noise seems much better. There are no newton rings to make strange color noise patterns. It was almost impossible to get out all the air bubbles but they retouch out in a second.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by PCroteau View Post
    I'd like to thank Sanking for the wet mounting method. It worked great except I had better results when I mounted the emulsion side to the glass. I tried using some mylar to sandwich it as well but I was getting better results without it. I found that a height around .5mm to work really well for the lens that can fit 8x10.

Quality wise I don't notice much difference in the sharpness but the amount of noise seems much better. There are no newton rings to make strange color noise patterns. It was almost impossible to get out all the air bubbles but they retouch out in a second.

Thanks again!
    When you say you mounted emulsion side to the glass and the distance was 0.5 mm how did you do that? Are you using the supplied 8x10 frame?

Also how did you protect the scanner from the fluid with the film directly on the scanner glass? Do you have a sheet of AN glass on top of the film to keep it flat?

Where does the mylar go?

Thanks,

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I don't have a diagram, but the order of surfaces is, CCD>base glass of scanner>air space created by shims>emulsion side of negative>shiny base side of negative fluid mounted to glass, tape around edges>glass>light.

Hope this clarifies.

Sandy
    Thanks, so much!

Do you have a favorite fluid or use Kagi and how does one clean up the film? Is it left all greasy? What holders do you use? Are they the ones from http://www.betterscanning.com/ and do you need to trim 8x10 film to fit?

Asher

I'm considering buying a v700/v750, (hmm....is the v750 needed if one has Vuescan and buys the film holders from ScanScience).

Can anyone comment on experience with the ScanScience, (or other available) fluid mount kits for 4x5 and 8x10 scanning for color film and B&W to be printed up to x4.

Thanks

Asher

LJ Segil

bump
    lj

Sanking,

I've re-read your posts and now understand your setup. Thanks.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Sanking,

I've re-read your posts and now understand your setup. Thanks.

Asher
    Sorry, it was not clear to me what you were asking. BTW, I do own the Betterscanning holder and consider it a very useful accessory for scanning with the V700/V750 with negatives 6.5X8.5" or less.

Unfortunately the only way to scan 8X10 with the V700/V750 is either directly on the scanner platen, or on a piece of glass elevated over the scanner glass. I believe the second way is better because it allows you to adjust for best plane of focus.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon