Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Any Gandolfi users out there?

Re: Any Gandolfi users out there?

thanks

Now it feels like home...

I just got this Gandolfi Whole Plate camera and need some help with identifying the model and the approximate age.

This model has black paint and nickel chromed hardware. It has the ivory colored Gandolfi label. The screws on the base are all aligned perfectly, the screws for the rest of the camera hardware are not. Looks like the leather handle and hardware are not original. It has a 5 x 7 back that has matching black paint and chrome hardware. The 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 back is missing. Weight with no lens or lens board is 7.75 lbs.

Thanks,

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo-327.JPG   photo-330.JPG   photo-329.JPG  

Definitely not an original Gandolfi handle. Often times there is a number stamped on the inside of the back or rear standard, which I believe indicates the year of manufacture.

The only number I can find is stamped on the bellows frame, after taking off the GG back. A No. 1 is stamped on there and that is it.

I am thinking this Gandolfi camera is from the 1950's or 60's. But with the No. 1 stamped on there it's anyone's guess......

I looks just like mine - I have 9 Gandolfi's and no one has any number anywhere, so I think Gandolfi's are notoriously difficult to date...

However I was told mine (probably) was from the fifties....

Any reason Gandolfi made this camera in black and chrome instead of the traditional French polished mahogany and lacquered brass? Medical, police or government order perhaps?

I was guessing mine was from the fifties or sixties. The black finish is in excellent condition, the nickel chrome finish is wearing off in places.

no idea...

You see mine looks a lot like yours... (My all time favorite LF camera so far...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gandolfi01.jpg   gandolfi05.jpg  

Gandolfi, your black & chrome model is in beautiful condition. Not bad for a 50 to 60 year old camera. A 5 x 7 I assume with a vintage Tessar mounted.

One question I had is the front focus knob. There is no smaller tightening or tension knob for the front focus knob as there is for the rear focus knob?

My front focus knob shaft is bent and will need to be straightened before I can rack the front standard out. A minor problem, the rest of the camera is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    You see mine looks a lot like yours... (My all time favorite LF camera so far...)
    A very handsome camera indeed, has a grand piano look ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Sharp View Post
    Gandolfi, your black & chrome model is in beautiful condition. Not bad for a 50 to 60 year old camera. A 5 x 7 I assume with a vintage Tessar mounted.

One question I had is the front focus knob. There is no smaller tightening or tension knob for the front focus knob as there is for the rear focus knob?

My front focus knob shaft is bent and will need to be straightened before I can rack the front standard out. A minor problem, the rest of the camera is solid.
    beautiful indeed - 7x5 back but I use metric film (13x18cm)...

And it was a good 240mm Heliar on the front...

No - there is no extra tightning knob on mine also - it is not needed onmine, at the front focusing mechanism is tight enough by it self...