Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Gandolfi users out there?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brad

Any Gandolfi users out there?

Hello. New to the forum.

I'm a professional photographer who uses two size formats (4x5 & 8x10) Gandolfi's.

I'm currently wrapping up a book project of 8x10 portraits.

Would love to share and resource information concerning the Gandolfi wooden field cameras. Thanks

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Any Gandolfi users out there?

I'm here!

Three Gandolfis - 10x8" Precision, 7x5" Traditional, 5x4" Universal. That last one is from around 1930, and came to me in pristine condition with an uncut lens board...

Brad

Since I left England years ago It's been difficult, when discussing formats, to switch the numbers around.

In the late 60's and early 70's, Fred Gandolfi custom built my two cameras and they've always had a special place for me. I use my 8x10 more often, particularily with my personal projects. What a beautiful camera.

On occasion I might need some minor repair or even an additional lensboard. So stay in touch and we can discuss the use of the camera or any particular projects.

Take care and thanks for responding.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Some pictures...

First the little old 5x4" Universal, next the 10x8" Precision (which, when I opened it contained a newspaper clipping with Fred Gandolfi's obituary), and finally the 5x4" Variant which I no longer have. I took some good pictures with it, but it got replaced by a Carbon Infinity...

Downstairs

James, Nice to hear another (expat) Gandolfi user. I use a 8x10 Precision and a 4x5. I have some correspondence with the brothers before the accident. They were short of seasoned wood and brass fittings.
    Did you notice that an 8x10 Sinar lens-board fits the Gandofi? I glued some felt to the rear of the board for a tighter fit. Also he big Gitzo low profile head matches both tripod holes in the 8x10 base-board. Two screws are better than one.
    How do you centre the lens-boards horizontally and keep them centred?

5x7 Gandolfi here; of unknown vintage. It takes Technika lens boards in what appears to be a factory front panel.

Brad

CJ - When setting up, I center only by eyesight. With a 360mm Schneider and shooting mostly portraits, it doesn't really become a factor. The schneider has tremendous coverage. What's in the ground glass is what is ultimately important.
    Back in the mid 70's I picked-up a new Majestic tripod (massive), used a sheet of thin rubber, glued to the head-base and only need the one 3/8" screw to lock it down tightly.

I did not stay in touch with Fred after the mid 70's - so what was the accident? I basically do my own thing and do not keep up with current events. Anyway those guys were the sweetest. I too have many correspondences with the shop - particularily Fred, as he updated me constantly about the 10x8 build. Before I left England, and telling him I was moving back to the states where he finally shipped it to me - he was always excited about his camera being used in the good ole' USA. Many hand typed letters. I believe my total invoice back then was for around 335 english pounds.

Brad

Ole - Your 10x8 is almost identical to mine except for some minor things. I asked Fred for some leather bellows and some extra minor details. We spent a day at the shop where he and I picked out some special Cuban mahogany that his father had air-dried years before. Our concern was the humidity in the tropics. And, I have traveled back to Cuba with that camera several times - back to where that wood had originated.

Brad

A personal project I did a few years back for the family. A few portraits shown.

http://www.blurb.com/books/67451

Currently working on a large book of portraits - hopefully to be published soon.

Hi James

here's a link to Arthur Gandolfi's obit - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...i-1481232.html

and a link to some very interesting family history too - http://www.gandolfi-film.co.uk/index.html

regards

andrew