Thread: Shortest lens on a Shen Hao HZX57-IIAT ?

Shortest lens on a Shen Hao HZX57-IIAT ?

I have a Fujinon 75mm SWD 5.6 lens, and I would like to use it on the Shen Hao HX57-IIAT. According to the Shen-Hao site, it has a minimum extension of 90mm ... Should this lens work on that camera, be it with a recessed lensboard ? In that case, do lensboards with enough recession exist (Copal 0) ?

FWIW, I have a Shen Hao (for sale right now) TZ45-IIA, that has a minimum extension of 110mm (according to the Shen-Hao site), but I can use my Schneider 90mm perfectly with a recessed lensboard, meaning I can focus at infinity (and shorter, of course) with a lensboard with 1.5cm recession, and I can even focus PAST infinity (meaning: I'm not at minimum bellows when focused at infinity with the recessed lensboard).

I don't understand this: 110mm - 15mm = 95mm. How come I can focus my 90mm while not even being at minimum extension ? It does work, and that's what count, but I would like to understand .. In fact, I can NEARLY focus my Fujinon 75mm at infinity, I miss only a few millimeter ..

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Stefan

Re: Shortest lens on a Shen Hao HZX57-IIAT ?

The 90mm Super Angulon has a flange focal distance of 99-104mm depending on model. By taking the minimum extension minus the recess, 110mm - 15mm = 95mm, you are finding the minimum flange focal distance. Your Super Angulon is above this so it works, and even focuses "beyond infinity".

The Fujinon 75/5.6 has a flange focal distance of 85mm, so with a recessed board, it should work on the HZX57.

The reason you can nearly focus the 75/5.6 on the TZ45 is probably that you are compressing the bellows slightly. This will work but puts pressure on the front standard, which might not be a good idea (might lead to unintended minor tilt/swing).

Octogenarian

The f5.6 Fujinon 75SWD does not cover the 5x7 format.

Are you planning on using a 4x5 reducing back on your 5x7 Shen Hao? If so, be aware that it will add a few millimeters of thickness .

In that case, you will need to use a wide angle bellows, a recessed lens board, and a combination of axis tilt and base tilt on the front standard, with a 75mm, or wider lens.

Thanks Engl and Gem for the very useful information. It really helps.

I'm indeed planning on using 4x5 reducing back, if necessary with wide-angle bellows. I guess a recessed lensboard with a recession of 19mm or something should work ? Do these exist for Copal 0 ?

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Octogenarian

Recessed lens boards usually come with openings for Copal 0 shutters.

A larger shutter will take up too much space in the recessed area making it difficult to operate the controls.

I have same question about shen hao 6x9 and angulon 47mm. On the website of Shen Hao is the information that I can use a 53mm. Is it possible to work on 47mm with recessed lens board?