Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy gaffer's tape?

Re: Where to buy gaffer's tape?

You might build up a baffle from mat board or foamcore, and attach it with rubber cement. Some styles of lensboards are so easy to make that a proper board becomes a logical solution.

Real Gaffer's tape is nice for sets but since you can't readily buy it locally at the hardware store I make do with various painter's low-tack blue tape, Duct tape, clear packing tape, and other common items. For light sealing, that black rubberized drip-grip stuff works a lot nicer than any tape.

hacker extraordinaire

You might build up a baffle from mat board or foamcore, and attach it with rubber cement.
    That's a good idea. I may be able to make a removable baffle to do that. Right now the lens board has a cone on it, for extra focal length, and I can take the lens board off and flip it over for transport, so that the lens is sticking into the camera. If I was to give up the ability to flip the lens board, I may as well glue the lens board on to seal the leaks. But I may be able to make a removable baffle that is held on by the same screws that holds on the lens board itself.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I've got almost two rolls (1 plus another with about 4 yards used) of 48mm wide black 3M gaffers tape. Got it free from 3M via a wholesaler in California when I saw their ad for it on line. Emailed the wholesale house and asked what one roll cost, but it ain't sold that way. So the sales girl got 3M to send me two rolls free "for evaluation." What a deal!!!!!

It's good stuff; 99% light tight as much as I can tell with a bright flashlight, but that's what the original tape is. I don't think hinge tape has to be light proof; the baffles on the flaps block light. Repaired several Riteway film holder hinges with it.

I'll be glad to send you or anyone a few yards for $5 which is the price of a small flat rate envelope through the US Postal Service.

Here's a link to that tape: http://www.shop3m.com/70006327954.html

hacker extraordinaire

I bought a roll at Guitar Center for $20. I thought that as expensive, but it's probably a lifetime supply.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

The Rookie

Guitar Center - $19.99 per roll.
    I just bought some for retaping some 8x10 holders. Worked great.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Real Gaffer's tape is nice for sets but since you can't readily buy it locally at the hardware store I make do with various painter's low-tack blue tape, Duct tape, clear packing tape, and other common items.
    The last roll I purchased was at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware), a fairly ubiquitous chain, at least a couple of years ago.