View Poll Results: How do you wait for the wind to calm?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) I stand still, alert (also) to changes in light, subject, etc.

37 54.41%
  • 2) I consider changes to comp/movements/exposure, etc

6 8.82%
  • 3) I whistle/sing/talk to myself

2 2.94%
  • 4) I “take-in” my surrounding/explore nearby areas

11 16.18%
  • 5) I eat/drink/smoke something

5 7.35%
  • 6) I perform magic tricks to stop the wind

4 5.88%
  • 7) I enter my personal fantasy world

8 11.76%
  • 8) I get annoyed & lament my timing/fate

11 16.18%
  • 9) I read, or write, or take notes

4 5.88%
  • 10) Here’s what I do – check-out my post!

12 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll about patience ― how do you wait for the wind to calm?

A poll about patience ― how do you wait for the wind to calm?

If you share my kind of photographer’s luck, you already know the story...

The breeze picks-up – right after you’ve labored to set-up a shot that requires calm. It’s a common cause for curses. Of course, an unexpected breeze might not be bad news. Sometimes, it makes me slow down and reconsider my choices. And when it settles, I might take a shot that’s better than it would have been. But this is being very optimistic – too often, the reality is not so rosy.

When the wind blows, how do you kill the time – or take advantage of it?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: A poll about patience ― how do you wait for the wind to calm?

Out in eastern Washington the wind doesn't go back down. If it's blowing, then it's blowing. It's time to adjust the shutter speed, and push the film development. Or I lengthen the shutter time, and get all the movement I can.

I take along a portable radio and play political talk programming in the opposite direction of the wind. The countervailing hot air creates a convection current that stabilizes the camera. Select your programming with care, as certain pundits are capable of blowing over the best-anchored of kits.

Leo

I be there.

But a sure fire way to stop the wind is to break the camera down and put it in your pack.

1,2, or 4 I guess. Depends on the location and what I've got framed. But I agree with Brian that if it's really howling and the subject calls for it I may go for max movement!
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

I should share a personal tip about predicting wind movements in the forest...

Since I usually have bad wind-karma, I’ve learned to take advantage of what the forest can “say” about moment-to-moment changes. For example, leaves that begin rustling in the distance provide advance warning about an approaching or strengthening wind. Much like an approaching rain shower.

But more interesting – and you have to be good at this – rustling leaves can also alert you to an abating wind. This takes practice. You have to notice when the “rustling” changes from a universal sound, to a local sound (it’s the trick above in reverse). It means the stillness is coming your way & prepares you for that short-lived, tranquil moment!

Wind is like the tides

In NC where I live, I find that the winds act sort of like the tides on the coast. If you've watched waves, you've seen what I'm talking about -- how the waves are spaced, how every once in a while a couple of waves merge and you get a big one, etc. Wind is like that too -- you get gusts and lulls, some big gusts and some big lulls.

The "secret" is to be ready when the long lull hits and take advantage of it. That extra second is required to get the branches to damp out their motion and finally become still -- right before the next gust. If you aren't ready, you miss it. So you've got to stand there, with your hand on the cable release, and watch the scene. You'll know it when it occurs.

I've had it take 45 minutes or longer. I've had it occur within seconds of finishing my setup and cocking the shutter. You gotta be ready, and you gotta act when given the chance. Just part of the LF life.

Bruce Watson

How do you wait for the wind to calm?
    I profane the Diety, then pick the antique sonofabitch up off the ground and pray that the lens weren't scratched and the ground glass ain't broke!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Preston Birdwell

#'s 1, 2, and 5. Sometimes I'll hurl pithy statements at the wind gods, especially when I'm in a creative groove.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I be there.

But a sure fire way to stop the wind is to break the camera down and put it in your pack.
    And the wind will always take the opportunity to appear, even if its just a faint breeze, as soon as you pull the darkslide.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis