Hello,

I have joined the forum in anticipation of making a move toward getting a view camera.

I am in no rush and I have on order "Using a View Camera" for a good read before making any move. I have a ground glass for my grand-father Icarette and some plate/sheet holders so that I can make baby steps using sheet film and GG focusing on 6.5x9

Beside I want to sell most of my 35mm collection and maybe some MF before investing in another system as I have an abundance of cameras/lenses even if I was to learn to shoot with both hands and feet (Pentax 645, 67, Hasselblad V, Autocord TLR, Kodak Medalist, Fujica GW/GSW 690 and Zeiss Icarette 551/2, that I all use with B&W films).
I develop my films and scan the negatives on a Nikon 8000 with sometime printing on Epson 2880 > smaller than 13x19

Lately, I have discovered several things:
1) I love the look of old lenses (Autocord, Medalist & Icarette)
2) Shift lens on my Pentax 67 and front shift on Zeiss Icarette
3) 35mm film even with excellent lenses does not cut it anymore for me and I need the tonality of 120

I shoot mostly landscape and cityscape www.LucBenacPhoto.com
This turns me naturally toward either a Press or a Field Camera.

But one of the capability that I am after, is a large DOF for front object to background which I think requires a tilt back. This would exclude a Press camera.

I also shot a lot in portrait mode (more than 50% of my shots) which I think would require a rotating back.
So with all this a Field camera would be the best choice?

Because I already have a good quality scanner limited to 6x9 negative size, and I would like to be able to carry the system around, I am looking at a 6x9 field camera as a logical choice. That said my first reading bring the following arguments against 6x9:
1) Difficult to judge the effect of tilt/shift on a 6x9 GG
2) Lenses on a small negative are not up to the quality of a MF lens (I am not sure of this and I have no prior experience to judge by myself)

In addition, I do not want to invest much money in a (possibly) first LF system. That say I like a well made camera that last and I like a simple well conceived camera that is easy to use which usually translate into $$$$$.

There are abundances of choices out there ranging from old to new and from a few hundred to a few thousands. I am also leery of an impulse buy on a "good deal" - throw me the first stone
I am sure that like in MF everybody has his/her own favourite and as many different answers. I am somewhat hopeful to put to rest the 6x9 versus 4x5 debate in my head with some help and possibly get some pointers on a selection of camera and lenses that are a good value with a reasonable ease of use. The worst camera is the one that stays at home.

BTW I have a Berlebach 2032 tripod which would take a reasonable weight.

Thanks in advance for everybody that feels like dropping a line.

Cheers,

Luc