Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What 8x10 Enlarger Will Fit in My Room?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

What 8x10 Enlarger Will Fit in My Room?

My darkroom has only 6' 6" clearance to ceiling. I would like to enlarge WP (and possibly 8x10) to max. 20x24. I found a nice Nikkor 240 mm lens which should cover the WP anyway. What make of enlarger (solid quallity, with VC or colour head) can I fit in? Thank you!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Octogenarian

Re: What 8x10 Enlarger Will Fit in My Room?

With a ceiling that low, you will either need a horizontal enlarger or a vertical enlarger with a swivel head that will allow the image to be projected on a wall.

Any way to make a recess opening in the ceiling above the enlarger in order to allow it to rise higher?

Richard,

I can confirm that you can take the Durst 184 operating vertically off your wish list, unless you can get a table mount for it.

Some enlargers you might be able to simply cut down some of the column, but not so on the 184, without considerable re-work including the mounting of the screw and the screw itself controlling head elevation.

If the enlarger has a simple column structure and head elevation system, it might be possible. Unfortunately, my knowledge of 8x10 enlargers is considerably limited, other than the Durst.

Good luck on your quest from your neighbour to the West,

Len

Richard
    You need 8 ft clearance to make that size print with a 300mm lens in place. That was using a free standing 11x14 deveere enlarger.

Bob

With only a 72" ceiling it is going to be difficult. I think that even a Durst 138 (5x7) to 8x10 conversion will have a column 82".

The Elwood I bought was bolted to the floor and a small wooden table about 1' high was used to hold the easel. It will easily fit within your 78" clearance. It was about 72" tall at that point.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Richard, what are the other dimensions in your darkroom?

You may need to construct your own custom enlarger. From looking at the Schneider information (PDF link), there aren't any wide-angle enlarging lenses. (Rodenstock lenses) I doubt that Nikkors have radically different coverage.

My darkroom has a 7' ceiling. I have three enlargers in the darkroom--two of them will do 8x10.

Enlarger 1 is a Zone VI, 5x7 enlarger with the short enlarging column. I have it setting on a standard height table-enlarging base and the column is just below the ceiling. To do prints larger than 16x20, I have to take the top off the table and use the shelf which is about 8 inches below the top. I built the table with 3 settings below the top for the shelf. I can go bigger than you plan to print with the drop shelf.

Enlarger 2 is a Beseler with the 8x10 conversion head. Enlarger 3 is another Zone VI with the 8x10 conversion and long column. Both enlargers sit on a platform 19" above the floor and I have no problem doing 20x24 inch prints on either enlarger.

The Beseler is more compact than the Zone VI, but I prefer the Zone VI--it seems more solid. It could just be that I am used to printing on the 5x7 Zone Vi, so I feel more at home on the 8x10 version.

It is awkward to print with the easel on a platform basically at the height of my knees. But I don't enlarge 8x10 as often as I do the smaller formats, so I put up with it on a limited basis.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Richard
    You need 8 ft clearance to make that size print with a 300mm lens in place. That was using a free standing 11x14 deveere enlarger.

Bob
    Bob!! You are the one that started all this by making a beautiful print from my WP neg! I hope you're satisfied!

So can you enlarge one of my 10x12s?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

I will have to pop in the 360 for that,
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Bob!! You are the one that started all this by making a beautiful print from my WP neg! I hope you're satisfied!

So can you enlarge one of my 10x12s?