Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to choose: Wehman or Chamonix?

Struggling to choose: Wehman or Chamonix?

Planning to buy a 8x10 under $2800 and have narrowed to 2 choices, either Wehman or Chamonix. I've read a number of posts regarding the comparison of both cameras, but mostly they were talking about the older Chamonix model. Not the newer one with the base plate made with a single piece of carbon fiber.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/810.html

I hope I can listen to the advices from who have tried both cameras. I know they are apple and orange, hard to compare. For Wehman I know there are many happy users there. I like the philosophy behind the camera too. I only have two concerns: Referring to all the photos I've seen so far I have no idea on how stable of the front extension while it's locked to the main camera base. And I'm not sure if the small knobs on the front standard is a problem or not. For Chamonix my concern is it's durability and it's more expensive (but it wins in beauty contest section).

And I occasionally shoot architectural/urban stuffs, the plenty of spirit levels on Chamonix are very welcomed. But I know there are always lousily installed spirit levels on some cameras which make them not precise enough. Not sure if Chamonix is like this. And putting a spirit level on Wehman is not difficult for me though.

Your advice is welcomed!
    Last edited by Fotopiggie; 5-Apr-2011 at 07:29. Reason: I've mixed up the "front extension" with "front standard"

Re: Struggled to choose: Wehman or Chamonix?

Have not used Chamonix but have a Wehman.

The size of knobs on a Wehman is fine, even in cold weather. The front standard is solid with extension. I have a 600mm Fujinon which I use with no problem. Integrated bubble levels would be nice, but I have one I can use when needed. The Wehman won't win a beauty contest with a wooden camera but it is so functional and durable. You don't need a ground glass protector. You don't need a wrap or a case. Those factors make the kit even lighter in use. The Wehman can be closed with certain small lenses attached (sometimes in reverse) which can be an advantage for some.

Re: Struggling to choose: Wehman or Chamonix?

I contacted Bruce earlier this year and his response was he doesn't have any stock and isn't planning on making any because of health issues.

What chris said. I contacted Mr. Wehman about a month ago to buy a Wehman and there aren't any and won't likely be any more.

I'd have bought one last year if the septic system hadn't packed up. *#%@!%#

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Octogenarian

Take a look at the Shen Hao FCL810-A.

It meets your description and is reasonably priced.

Since you are located in Hong Kong, you can probably purchase one locally and save the shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    I contacted Bruce earlier this year and his response was he doesn't have any stock and isn't planning on making any because of health issues.
    That sucks... it is definitely a great camera. Haven't tried the Chamonix personally.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Recently purchase a Chamonix 4x10 and I can tell you is well made and with excellent QC, worth every penny. I can't say the same of the Shen-Hao. I wish they sell 6x17s.

I have a Chamonix 11x14 and am completely satisfied with it..Evan Clarke

That is bad news about the Wehman.

Thanks for all the advices. It's so sad to know that Mr. Wehman won't make any camera anymore. It's hard to find something with this kind of originality these days. Well maybe I'll spend a bit more for a Chamonix.

Gem: I've seen and tried Shen Hao FCL810-A too. It's kind of a clone of Chamonix older model. Price is right and the look is ok. Only I'm still skeptical about the stability of the T-shaped base of the camera. And it's interesting that even though I'm in Hong Kong, it may be a bit cheaper to buy these Chinese made cameras in US as the currency of RMB is pretty high here.