Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambo Question for a First Time View Camera Owner

Cambo Question for a First Time View Camera Owner

Well I think I got a good deal on a Cambo view camera. It looks a little beat up and seems to be missing some stuff, but for the price I think I can fix it up enough to take some pictures.

Before I go buying parts and trying to get going with this I want to clarify a few things, like exactly what model do I have . I did some Google searches on Cambo but cant seem to nail the ID of my exact camera.

Mine is not an S2, 45NXII the back does not rotate, no guides on the vertical pots. It looks a Lot like an SC bit doesn't match the images of SC, SCX, SC2, The rise and fall marks are not there.

I am missing 3 cap on the posts, so I need to buy those or have them made at a machine shop.

The Ground Glass is not pristine, however I think I can work with it. It is just for focusing, The film will be exposed directly thru the lens, so I dont see how a dirty or marked ground glass will be anything other than an irritant.A question on the GG. Is the shiny side supposed to face out or in.

The Copal shutter seems to work perfect. The lens is the Nikon Nikkor-W 135 f 5.6 and the shutter and lens seem to be a single unit. (what is this focal length commonly used for on a 4x5 (portrait, landscape, ect...) I need to better understand focal lentgh in relationship to the size of the film.

I reference everything to 35mm focal lengths and digital multiplier on crop sensors. Like my APC-s is a 1.6x multiplier because it is smaller so I have to assume if one goes buy this theory the 135mm is divided not multiplied. So a 135mm on 4x5 should be fairly wide angle I would think. However I would think the Center coverage would be dictated by the actual diameter of the Lens itself but I am just making assumptions and porbably very wrong, So I will Read

The lens and shutter combo

I am missing the Scale on the mono rail I hope that I can find a replacement or use some sort of tailors ribbon to make adjustments
    End Pt 1

Re: Cambo Question for a First Time View Camera Owner

Also I need an end cap and Stopping pin.

It has gone missing as well. I dont want to be careless and let the standard adjust right off the back of the rail. If I cant find a New cap and Pin, I may be able to fashion something with a tap and a set screw. Ghetto I know, but this is no Linhof!

I got 5 Fidelity Elite film holder/dark sides (they look Mint) and a Polaroid back that I prey will hold Fuji Film. I love the Fuji instant films I play with the FP100B and C on some Olf land cameras so I cant wait to try it out on this baby.

I am not new to Film. I have quite alot of Film gear (dark room stuff) I have a De Vere 504 floor model enlarger. I have 4x5 hangers and Yankee dev tanks. I have been using it for my 645 stuff. But now it's time to step up and really learn how to make a big picture. I can make a 30x40 fiber based paper print ( I have 2 huge fiber dryers) I bought some 4x5 masks for my 504 as well as a mixing chamber a while back. I was eying a Speed Graphics a while back so I have been planning to move up in format for quite some time. Just looking for the right deal.

The closest I have come to a view camera is in a store. I have played with a tilt shift lens Whoo Hoo on my 7D. I cant wait to get started, however I dont want to rush things. I want to make sure I am not setting myself up for failure. I want to go thru my camera and make 100% fully functional.

I need some sticks. I saw a set of Zone 5 wooden legs with metal spikes, I was just leary because it looked warped so I passed. Any recommendations on a good old work horse of a tripod that can be had by a frugal photographer as myself. Weight is not an Issue. The beefier the better my Manfroto 190xprob is great for my DLSR but is way too wimpy for the made in Holland newest edition to my stable, Cambo 4x5.

BTW I paid $200 for everything, that is the camera, the lens, the backs I believe this to be somewhat of a steal.

Sorry for the Lengthy post. I have a lot of info I wanted to cover. I have lots of questions. Let it be known I did search before I came here. I am not here to be spoon fed. Rather I am asking for a a little nudge in the right direction.

Thanks to all that care to lend a hand, Akf

I think I have an SC2

Your camera doesn't seem to have a rail clamp, also called tripod mount. The camera is very hard to use without one.

None on eBay right now, Glenn Evans (glennview.com) might have one.

you sure?

u sure about that? Doesn't look like it to me!

Looks like the sc-2 basic that is shown on the Cambo site.
    135 mm in 4x5 size is 35mm in 35mm size.
    The other problems you mention are cosmetic.
    You will need the Polaroid 550 or Fuji PA-45 holder.
    The Polaroid 545 sheet film holder will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Your camera doesn't seem to have a rail clamp, also called tripod mount. The camera is very hard to use without one.

Pic 4 has the knob of the clamp under the shutter release cable.

Bill, thanks for pointing it out to me.

I believe GG should have shiny side out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

Yes it has a rail clamp I mounted it to my Manfroto tripod and it was like an elephant on a beach ball,lol