Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Remember Name of 8x10 Enlarger

Re: Can't Remember Name of 8x10 Enlarger

Beseler MXT with the 8x10 conversion kit is what you are referring to. Another option for short ceilings is to build a drop table, especially if you don't routinely enlarge maximally

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    For some of us (granted not for everyone) that's like a musician, not just a composer, settling for sending his own composition off to someone else to play and send him back a recording.
    But if you are a pianist and only have the space for a toy piano, then it's a decision you'll have to live with. When I lived in an 18ft travel trailer, I routinely took my stuff to a lab for enlargement, and the lab also did my color processing. My current apartment has a sloped ceiling and at its maximum it's less than 7ft high, so I have a Photar 8x10 enlarger in storage. At some point I'll be able to set it up, but not right now. Right now is make-do time, so I'll make do.

Kaiser advertised a table-top 8x10 enlarger, but I haven't come across an actual example.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    But if you are a pianist and only have the space for a toy piano, then it's a decision you'll have to live with. When I lived in an 18ft travel trailer, I routinely took my stuff to a lab for enlargement, and the lab also did my color processing. My current apartment has a sloped ceiling and at its maximum it's less than 7ft high, so I have a Photar 8x10 enlarger in storage. At some point I'll be able to set it up, but not right now. Right now is make-do time, so I'll make do.
    I do understand, really. I (probably) would have room for one but need to get the darkroom built out for normal sized stuff first, then I'd have to find one of the things (not that hard) and arrange to get it to me (probably much harder) then probably move it when I move (again.) They're just not terribly practical for most home darkrooms, one reason among others that I don't have an 8x10 camera.

I have my Elwood sitting on the floor, not very comfortable when printing but it works.

Robert

Big Negs Rock!

I have a Bessler MX 4x5 with the Bessler 8x10 head in a darkroom with 6.5' ceiling. I made it so I sit on an 18" stool to do the prints. I also built a drop shelf, although I haven't used it yet. This is a very easy set up. Gives me a bit of exercise from sitting down and standing to do the processing. I like it very much.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Do these Beseler heads ever come up on the forum or eBay? Don't want one now (more 4x5 stuff to get first) but 8x10...wow. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    I'm thinking of getting an 8x10 enlarger BUT my darkroom ceiling is only 6'6" above the darkroom floor. I kind of doubt that a Durst or De Vere would fit. Would a Beseler? I'm trying without success to remember the name of a more compact model that was sold back in the late 80s but it's not coming to me. Anyone? Thank you!!
    Reinhel and Kienzle.

De Vere has a conversion kit for tabletop use. KHB in Toronto sells the kit for a reasonable price.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    Reinhel ........
    Now THAT'S starting to sound familiar. Anyone have a link to a photo of one?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain