Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Jobo Expert Drums by Hand

Using Jobo Expert Drums by Hand

I'm looking at a Jobo 3010 to process 4x5 film, but do not have a processor. I intend to buy a CPP2/CPA2, but it may be a while before one pops up for sale locally.

In the meantime, has anyone had success with plugging the hole and using the expert tanks by hand? Can they be inverted, or must they be rolled?

Re: Using Jobo Expert Drums by Hand

lots do it. rolling. try the search function as there are plenty of threads on this.

They need to be rolled. There are hand roller stands as well as the Beseler and Uniroller motorized rollers.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

When I roll mine by hand, I don't bother plugging up the hole. Nothing comes sloshing out of it. Also, make sure you buy a Jobo with a late serial number. These were modified to work with the big expert drums. The two earlier models don't work well with them, and the earlies model can burn out.

Oh, yeah: welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the tips, glad I can use one without a processor. I don't have total darkness, so this will make my life easier. Is there anyway to pick the difference bettween an early and an updated processor without knowing the serial number?

Jobo CPP2 processors are completely identical on the outside, i have an early and a late model and can't see any difference.
    If you do find one, make sure that seller check the serial number on the back, the late model with stronger motor are numbered above 20,000
    If you only intend to use the CPP2 (When you find one) with the 3010 Expert drum older processors will also be fine. It is the larger 3005 for 8x10 that causes the small motors to suffer a bit.

Coming a bit late to this threat but look for a Jobo 1509 manual roller base. They are a bit expensive for two bits of plastic with rollers on the end but they do the job.

Coming a bit late to this threat but look for a Jobo 1509 manual roller base. They are a bit expensive for two bits of plastic with rollers on the end but they do the job.
    Thanks, I'll have a look. I've been using a Jobo 3010 for the last four weeks or so, and a roller would be great.

Get 2 of these:

Mount them upside down on a flat piece of wood, and get rolling.. (idea: Gary Mulder)

Good luck!

Best,

Cor

I have had success using a 3010 as a stand processor. I takes a lot of solution, but works quite well. Typically, I stick to the CPA2.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!