Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to 5x4 photography

New to 5x4 photography

I'm thinking of getting into 5x4 photography, I'm a bit confused as to excatly what i need, i've seen a few 5x4 (4x5) cameras on eBay but I think i need more than just the camera itself, I have 4x5 film holders and a Paterson orbital developer as i have a 5x4pinhole camera, however I'm not sure what a 'Lupe' is and what i would need it for! The cameras on eBay mostly are without lens, i'm unsure of the lens/shutter arrangement that fits to the camera and dare i say it, i'm not sure how to use a 5x4 camera!

Any advise would be apriciated, i.e. best 4x5 camera, best lens, a list of what i will need! idiots guide to using a field/view cameras. anything like that. I have toyed with Polaroids for many years, recently done a bit of pinhole and have a entry level Nikon DSLR, so by no means a complete expert, i like the unexpected, happy accident type of photography rather than knowing every exact setting to apply, of course i realise I may need to apply a bit more technic to 5x4, I'm going on a bit now! any advise woudl be welcome. Thanks

Re: New to 5x4 photography

Have you been to the home page, there's a wealth of infomation there, definitely worth studying if you want to learn more about LFP. To answer on question a loupe is a magnifier used as an aid while focusing on the ground glass. Loupes for view cameras generally have a rubber on the end that contacts the ground glass to prevent scratching. Welcome the the forum btw.

Roger

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Hello, Pete, and welcome to the forum!

A loupe is a little magnifying glass, with a little plastic spacer to keep it at its best distance. There are loupes that are made for critical focusing.
    Lenses for large format cameras are usually mounted on the shutter assembly itself.
    Check this thread (link) for a YouTube channel for novice LF photographers. There are a number of YouTube videos on large format cameras.

There really is no "best" camera or lens; it depends on what you want to do with the camera. There are a number of UK photographers on the forum, and perhaps there is someone near you.

Thanks for that, I will check out the home page and following your advise have watched a few videos on you tube and yes really useful. I get what a loupe is for now!
    I'm considering a Camulet Cadet on eBay, which looks fairly basic, also watching a horsman, toyo and a Cambo legend, some with lens, some without. still a bit confused about the way the lens is operated, but as you say plenty of information out there (now i've looked)! Thanks again for the pointers

Why are you looking at Ebay and not here on this site????

I second the youtube videos. Some are not that great, but watch them and then read the home page and you'll be a lot farther along. If you can find someone local to show you the ropes that would be preferable.

Buying a used camera, which may not work correctly, can be a difficult thing to learn on.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Why are you looking at Ebay and not here on this site????
    Probably because new members do not have access to the sales board

Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    Probably because new members do not have access to the sales board
    They don't? I never knew that. Huh.

yup, 30 days waiting period (i'm a newbie still waiting). I do have a crown graphic fitted with a 135mm 3.5 xenotar on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by petebolt View Post
    still a bit confused about the way the lens is operated, but as you say plenty of information out there (now i've looked)! Thanks again for the pointers
    What is confusing about the lens operation??

Welcome to the forum!!

Cheers