Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headless Tripod?

Headless Tripod?

Would the use of a Linhof levelling base be of use in this situation?

Headless Tripod?

Hi Headless,

Great Idea. I have been using the 4" bowl in a video tripod for ages. For all types of camera from 35mm to 4x5. Absolutly no problems. Faster and lighter. Just like a ball head to use with out the possibility of the outfit falling over. Much shorter to carry and stow. No knobs to catch on stuff and cars. Downside? Needs a fitting I have developed to enable 90o format shange for 35mm. Not your problem with sheet film or square format either for that matter. I also sugest the use of a quick release. I use the hex plate for its simplicity.

Good luck if you are still looking.

Headless Tripod?

I tried this just today with a Slik 700DX and 9lb Toyo 23G view camera ... worked like a charm! I simply replaced the head and center column with a 3/8" bolt and a pair of fender washers, which cost me less than 60 cents at the local hardware store. I not only made the tripod more stable but lightened it by 2.4 lbs in the process. And in the future, I can return it to its original form in less than five minutes using a 5/8" wrench and a pair of Channelocks.

Fortunately, the Toyo has a quick-release mount, and by aligning it so the rail is in line with the rear leg, I can quickly tilt it as needed by adjusting only one leg. There's enough play in the tripod mount to allow me to easily level the camera left-to-right as well. Straddling the rear leg to compose the image is a bit of a nuisance but since I'm on a fairly tight budget at the moment, I can live with it if it means not having to spend any money for a while.