Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tripod heads for ULF and studio stands

Scott Davis

tripod heads for ULF and studio stands

I have a range of ULF cameras now: 5x12, 11x14, and 14x17. I'm planning on using all of them in the studio, and I'd like to use them with my studio stand that I've just acquired. What would you recommend for a head that would work well with all three? I know the big trick will be the 5x12 because I want to be able to use it vertically as well as horizontally. I'm not terribly crazy about Majestic heads because they have the geared control in one direction only, although if someone can make a compelling argument I'm open to persuasion. I suspect the Sinar heads have too small a contact patch for the 14x17, and that's probably true for anything with a quick-release plate, period. Are there any ball heads that would work with the bigger cameras, or am I still going to be looking at the same contact-patch problem? I know the Ries A250-2 has a nice 6"x6" contact patch, but will it work on a studio stand? Any feedback and input is appreciated.

What I currently have in heads that MIGHT work are a Gitzo 1570 pan-tilt, but that's currently dedicated to the 1420 legset, and a Bogen 3039, but that has a quick release plate (fine for the smaller cameras - 35mm up to whole plate).

Re: tripod heads for ULF and studio stands

A Saltzman head would be good for the 14x17 and 11x14. It would be overkill for the 5x12. It would need to be adapted to your studio stand. And Saltzman heads usually come with a tripod; hard to find one alone. I would explore your Gitzo 1570 first. You already have it...

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

I'm happy with Cambo's SCH Geared Head, even in the field. From memory it will support 25kg or so. Warning - unless you have deep pockets, don't buy one new. They are solid and durable so you should be able to find something decent second hand.

Best,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

I use a Saltzman tripod and head for my 11x14 Seneca. I used to use a Majestic. The weight of the camera and lens stripped the screws holding the camera platform, dropping the camera.

What kind of studio stand did you get?

Do you still have your Century stand? Seems like it would be preferable if you're working in the studio with the large cameras.

Scott Davis

I found an INKA, which I just brought home today. It will be everything I need in a studio stand.

Will - I still have the Century, and the Century Master camera lives on it. The Century stand has a couple of qualities that make it perfect for the portrait camera but not ideal for everything I want to do. While it is rock solid, as you probably remember, the gear that locks the elevation control is not very tight, and it has gotten looser with time, so it is more prone to rapid acceleration when no camera is on it. Being a bi-post design, if the floor under it is not perfectly level, I can't correct that with any kind of horizontal leveling. With the INKA, I can level the horizontal arm and the camera mounting platform independent of the stand base and each other. My 11x14 and 14x17 are "field" cameras (the 14x17 is a Canham), so they aren't as hard on the stand as the Century is.

Oh, and when I picked up the stand, I asked the seller what he was using for a head. He had one of the Sinar heads, which he tossed in for another $25. It's cosmetically rough, but in working order.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    ...the 14x17 is a Canham...
    Nice!!

My Gitzo G1570 is perfect for my relatively puny Canham 10x12 and 7x17. 14x17 is starting to get kind of big. I'd put my money on the Saltzman head.

Scott Davis

For your consideration, here's the INKA stand. Pardon the fuzziness, but it was taken with an iPhone by someone who doesn't know how to photograph with one (he actually doesn't have a phone let alone a phone with camera).

I tried to look it up and couldn't find a single picture on the Web. I presume it has a 3/8 bolt for the head?