Thread: How to determine focal length when not marked?

How to determine focal length when not marked?

I have taken the lens off of a 1908 Kodak 3a Folder to use on my Speed Graphic. This is a rapid rectilinier type, f4 to f64 in shutter in like new shape and I t ried taping it on to a lens board and it seems to cover 4x5 ok (the camera took roll film orig.) There is no marking regarding focal length anywhere. How or wh at do I measure to find out what focal length this lens is? thanks.

If you have enough bellows on your camera you could focus on some thing (say a 4X4 card) until it was life size on your ground glass. Measure the bellows extension and divide it by 2. That's the focal length of the lens.

Or, if your bellows's too short, focus something at infinity and measure the out er lensboard side to film distance (provided it is not a telephoto design).

Actually, the front side of the lens board to the film isn't necessarily the focal length when focused at infinity or twice the focal length w/ 1:1 magnification. On my 210 apo-symmar, this method yields about 196mm on my Toyo VX, so there's some unknown offset (call it D). However, if you employ both methods (let x=true focal length, x1=film to lens board distance when focused at infinity, x2=film to lens board distance with 1:1 macro), then you have a system of linear equations in (x,D) which can be easily solved.