Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheets processing question

Sheets processing question

Hi all again,

I would like to ask, what the tool i need to develop LF sheets [4x5 or even 8x10]? Is there any new still available equipment used for developing large format films or all are discontinued? I thought the lab will charge me same as 35/120 B&W processing but i shocked when they said they charge a bit more, so for me it will not be any saving to use the lab for all LF films, i will use the lab for color films only [as i am not planning to do color myself], any help please?

Re: Sheets processing question

Trays in a dark room work fine for B&W. Nice way to learn as one can develop one at a time and play around with development time.

Jobo Expert Tanks (3005 for 8x10) are great, but since they are no longer made, are getting expensive on the used market.

Stainless steel hangers in tanks is another way...uses a lot of chemicals -- especially big tanks for 8x10 (sometimes a couple gallons/8 liters).

These are the ways I have done it -- there are a couple other ways, but I'll let others chime in on those.

Vaughn

Octogenarian

All you need are three 8x10 trays.

Use water in the middle tray for pre-soak, stop bath, final wash, and wetting agent.

There are several daylight tanks for 4x5, but you will need an expensive Jobo expert drum (or similar) for daylight 8x10 development.

Easiest thing in the world.

Use 8x10 trays to process 4x5 negs.
    Use 11x14 (mine are actually 12x16) to process 8x10.

Trays, left to right:
    Water bath
    Developer
    Acetic acid
    Fix
    After fixing, use hypo clear, then wash for about 30 minutes in an upright "print" washer, then hypo clear each sheet individually for about 30 seconds each. Then hang up on clothespins on a wire overnight to dry.

I heard about a tank that can be used [daylight], I think it is HP Combi-Plan, don't know if this is a good one to try it.
    I think i will go with trays method, will buy trays and see, but can i use same procedures/steps of what i do to process 120 format films [Pre-soak, Developer, Stop Bath, Fixer, Wetting Agent]??? or it is a bit different with sheets?

I've never used the Combi tank, but I think some people do. I personally have tried two different types of tanks (though they seemed to be almost copies of each other), and they didn't allow for sufficient agitation, so I ended up with mottle due uneven development. So, I always do sheet film in trays, and the biggest issue I have is scratches on the emulsion, especially if you are using Foma or Efke, or such.
    Nice enough film, but it seems to be softer when wet, than Kodak, Fuji, or Ilford.
    If you only do one sheet per tray, its' not so much of an issue, but if you have lots to process, it gets quite time consuming. I process up to 5-6 4X5 sheets per 5X7 tray, and lift each sheet up going through from top to bottom. I DON'T slide a sheet from the bottom, and put it on top, as I found that this gives me more scratches! I usually use an 11X14 tray, filled with tempered water, with two 5X7 trays inside. This gives me more processing capacity, so that I can use both hands to shuffle film.
    I prefer 5X7 trays so that the film doesn't scoot around as much, but you have to make sure that enough chem to properly process the film.
    Keith

OK, i have to read more about processing with trays.

Thanks!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The Jobo 4x5 reels and tanks can still be purchased, and I've seen a 3006 expert drum for sale new. Yes, stocks are really drying up, and there never was a huge market for the drums in the first place.

You might look at purchasing or making a "slosher." (Photographer's Formulary, slosher) You can make one yourself.

There's the Beyond The Zone System (link) (BTSZ) tubes. You can make these yourself, or buy a kit. They are available for 4x5 and 8x10 sizes. You'll still need a darkroom, or at least a changing bag, for loading the film.

Trays are an inexpensive way to do it. However, you have to stand over the trays in complete darkness shuffling the film and inhaling chemical fumes, which was never my thing. And when I used trays I occasionally ended up scratching a sheet of film every now and then. A better system IMHO is one that allows you to do everything in room light after the film is loaded, that avoids most chemical fumes, and that is pretty much scratch-proof. Such systems include BTZS tubes and Jobo. Maybe tanks too, I've never used tanks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    The Jobo 4x5 reels and tanks can still be purchased, and I've seen a 3006 expert drum for sale new. Yes, stocks are really drying up, and there never was a huge market for the drums in the first place.

You might look at purchasing or making a "slosher." (Photographer's Formulary, slosher) You can make one yourself.

There's the Beyond The Zone System (link) (BTSZ) tubes. You can make these yourself, or buy a kit. They are available for 4x5 and 8x10 sizes. You'll still need a darkroom, or at least a changing bag, for loading the film.
    OK, more options or choices now and more confusion.

Thanks