Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for Photoshop book

Recommendation for Photoshop book

I've been using gimp for years and in the past I've used photoshop. I just acquired Photoshop CS5, and I would like to try some of its features such as High Dynamic Range Processing.

There are lots of books about Photoshop. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone like me?

Re: Recommendation for Photoshop book

The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book, by Scott Kelby.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi...8161167&sr=8-1
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I would recommend Lynda.com instead of ordering a book.

Or Kelbytraining.com
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You might look at the Martin Evening book also. It doesn't so much give you workflows to achieve things, but more just explains the tools. That is the approach I preferred to learn. It is more like a reference book, or a good "missing" product manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for someone like me?
    When I was learning Photoshop many years back, I had used "Real World Photoshop" book written by late Bruce Fraser. I would highly recommend that older edition of the book even if newer editions probably cover the versions of Photoshop. Many concepts covered in that book are quite unique (and many times quite deep) and I have not found them in other books that I own.

// Atul

I'd second Walter's recommendation of the Kelby book. I like Kelby's books because he takes everything step by step, usually with screen shots to show whatever it is he's stepping you through. I have his CS3, 4, and 5 books and they're all still very useful.

I also have liked most of the 8 or so Lynda.com Photoshop courses I've taken. But I find them very time-consuming because I have to take detailed notes in order to gain any real value from them, there's no way I could otherwise remember their content. As for HDR, I understand that HDR in Photoshop has been improved in CS5 but I think Photomatix is still considered the best HDR software.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The only Kelby book I can find at my local booksellers is Photoshop for Digital Photographers.

Both my local stores have Evening's book, so I think I will get that. Borders is having a going out of business sale and I have a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble.

Any comments?

The only Kelby book I can find at my local booksellers is Photoshop for Digital Photographers.

Both my local stores have Evening's book, so I think I will get that. Borders is having a going out of business sale and I have a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble.

Any comments?
    Photoshop CS5 (or 3 or 4) For Digital Phtographers is the book I was talking about (to be completely accurate, the exact title is "The Adobe Photoshop CS5 [or 3 or 4] Book For Digital Photographers." You can ignore the "digital photographers" part, it's a Photoshop book pure and simple, there's little if anything in it that's peculiar to using a digital camera. I think they stuck "digital photographers" part in the title just because that's what most people are these days.

I used an early version of a Martin Evening book back along about Photoshop 4 when I was first getting started. I found it too complicated for me as a novice. There were too many times when he'd say something like "make a selection and move it onto its own layer, then add a mask and invert it" without telling you how to do those things (or maybe he told you how to do it six chapters back). Maybe the book has improved or maybe I was just unusually dense but I prefer the Kelby books for the reason I said earlier - he keeps everything very simple and tells you exactly what to do at each step, often with screen shots to further explain.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

Any comments?
    Photoshop CS5 (or 3 or 4) For Digital Phtographers is the book I was talking about (to be completely accurate, the exact title is "The Adobe Photoshop CS5 [or 3 or 4] Book For Digital Photographers." You can ignore the "digital photographers" part, it's a Photoshop book pure and simple, there's little if anything in it that's peculiar to using a digital camera. I think they stuck "digital photographers" part in the title just because that's what most people are these days.

I used an early version of a Martin Evening book back along about Photoshop 4 when I was first getting started. I found it too complicated for me as a novice. There were too many times when he'd say something like "make a selection and move it onto its own layer, then add a mask and invert it" without telling you how to do those things (or maybe he told you how to do it six chapters back). Maybe the book has improved or maybe I was just unusually dense but I prefer the Kelby books for the reason I said earlier - he keeps everything very simple and tells you exactly what to do at each step, often with screen shots to further explain.
    Brian Ellis