Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spot Meter for Low Light Situations

Spot Meter for Low Light Situations

Just made a comparative test on both the Sekonic L-508 Cine Master and the Minol ta Autometre IVF. In both incident and spot mode (Minolta with spot attachment), the sensitivity of t he Minolta is 0,5 of a f-stop higher. At 100 ASA, the Minolta started measuring 1 minute at f4.0 and th e threshold for the Sekonic was 1 min. at f4.0 when the Minolta showed 1 min. at f4.05. To my amazem ent, the two meters have 0,5 of a f-stop lapse in low light measurements ! The lapse reduces progres sively to none when light increases (equal at f8). Having no means to check further, I am not able to say which is the most precise in low light. However, 1min. at f4.0 is 30 min. at f22! Taking into account the reciprocity failure, who would expose a sheet of Velvia in such poor light? I find the Sekonic to be exce llent with it's zoom spot (1!-4!) and very precise.

BTW, I think I made a mistake purchasing this lightmeter for photography only. I thought it had all the features of the standard L508 Zoom Master, but some interesting studio capabilit ies lack!

Paul,

Actally the problem I had was not shooting Velvia, but rather doing Zone system photography in B&W. I need the ability to detect the light levels in the shadows as well as the medium tones and highlights. And in B&W I have been known to make exposures that have lasted for several minutes when doing nightime exterior architecture shots where I want people in the scene to disappear.

Best Regards, -harry

Sorry, Harry. I didnt' mean to turn your comment to nonsense. I just find the Se konic good enough for my colour work. You opened my eyes on other needs, when working in B&W or special p hotography and I rekon you where certainly limited by the Sekonic sensitivity.