Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rain Returns to California!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The Rain Returns to California!

Finally. I'm sick of late spring temperatures and cobalt blue skies!

It's supposed to rain all of next week here and I'm lovin' it! This translates to snow and winter storms for you folks back east but this is the best time of the year for photography so get out with your camera and get something worth the paper to print it!

Thomas

Re: The Rain Returns to California!

I am looking forward to the rain also -- though I want to commute to work on my bicycle next week. Monday might be a little tough -- rain and 30+ MPH winds from the south scheduled. We do need the rain. A wet fall that put us ahead of the curve, but we have not really have had a really good storm for awhile.

Just got back from a couple weeks in the CA deserts. A few clouds here and there, some wind to deal with, but generally pretty nice.

Vaughn

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Any ideas on how the California spring wildflower season will be? I guess it depends on how much more rain we get over the next few weeks.
    Brian Vuillemenot

I think late February early March are the critical months for rain in the Desert.
    Back in 96 or 97 when the last wild flower season really hit a high the rain came in around late February.
    Locals in the Desert had never seen anything like it and it was quite spectactular.

Preston Birdwell

Up here in the foothills, we're definitely ready for rain! I'm looking forward to it! Also, the snowpack could use a really good boost.

This from NWS Sacramento forecast discussion:

"WE DO BELIEVE THAT SNOWFALL WILL BE OBSERVED DOWN INTO THE FOOTHILLS...THOUGH EXACT SNOW LEVELS REMAIN UNCERTAIN. STORM TOTAL...THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SIERRA WILL LIKELY SEE A FEW FEET OF NEW SNOW AND PERHAPS 1-2 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH THE VALLEY"

--P

Sorry about the all caps--that's the way it copied.
    Last edited by Preston; 12-Feb-2011 at 21:50. Reason: edit
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Man did it return and with a vengeance! We had 6 inches of snow fall on Mt. Hamilton (in San Jose) and the snow level in the bay area is forecast to fall to the 2000 foot level (and even lower!) this evening. And if that isn't enough, there is a possibility of snow at sea level in a storm due to roll in next Friday! If it does that will be only the second time that i have seen it that low. The last time was many years ago in Corpus Christie, Texas, and I remember standing on the beach in absolute amazement watching heavy snow falling into the Gulf of Mexico.

Tonight I was planning on watching the Chinese New Years parade in downtown San Francisco as I almost always do. I usually take my Pentax 645N with an AF400 flash and photograph the parade. But it's cold and raining downtown so instead I've decided to stay at home this year and work on a B&W print portfolio consisting of B&W urban images shot at night. Here's a quick preview:

That's the Queen Mary moored at Pier 23 - a popular waterfront watering hole. I was going to toss it but the more I looked at it in the wash, the more I liked it. I have a bunch of B&W negatives of dark Chinatown alleys, neon nightclub lights, deserted and foggy piers, etc. It's going to be fun bringing them to life!

Stay warm and dry,

Thomas

Preston Birdwell

The storm hit hard, here in the Foothills. Over 15,000 without power in Tuolumne and Calaveras counties, lots of traffic problems, down ees, etc.. We had several inches of snow in Columbia, and Twain Harte (4000') had in excess of two feet. I imagine the Sierra crest received several feet of new snow.

Be well everyone,

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Just normal conditions here in NW CA -- rain. Some snow in the local hills.

Snow in Tonopah. Plenty of firewood. Nothin' much to do (sell some stuff cuz I'm broke). Bring it!

Saratoga, CA

I'm headed for Yosemite tomorrow!! Yaaaaa!!!
    Gale