Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak Aero Ektar 7" f/2.5 Military Recon Lens

Lachlan 717

Re: Kodak Aero Ektar 7" f/2.5 Military Recon Lens

I've got a Pentac 8" f2.5 mounted on a Sinar board that I use with a Sinar shutter. Works a treat.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Innit f/2.9, Lachlan?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Innit f/2.9, Lachlan?
    Goes past the f2.9 marker. When I did some GG spot meters, it came to just under half a stop quicker fully open. So, I rounded up from f2.45 to f2.5.

I also have a B&L brick (over 3kg) that goes even faster, but I think it taxes the front standard (and the iris clamp) a little too much. Might need to set up a monopod.

Anyway, I guess this just suggests there are other options to the Aero, whether they be circa f2.2, f2.45 or f2.9.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

East Coast USA, 2 blocks down on the left

I've had one for a few years; mounted on a Speed Graphic and really love almost everything about it (just not how large and heavy it is - makes packing a pain, especially for walk abouts). I don't just shoot wide open and find that it's not so much of a one-trick pony as some would consider it to be. ;-p

Hmmm... Pentac 8" f2.9 (or 2.5) Lachlan 617? I need to make a mental note of that. Sounds right up my alley...

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

I'd asked earlier in the thread of anyone used this lens for other than wide open portraits. I was just "wow'd" at Jo Lommen's Graflex.org site with several photos taken with one that shows me what the lens can do on a 4X5 Speed Graphic. Jo just updated his site on Feb 5th with one taken in Bergen, Norway by Bjorte Bjorkem called "XMAS Tree 2010." At first glance I thot I was looking a a close up of a computer back panel, glistening with highlights. Nope, it's a "wide open" aperture probably ariel shot of a large square in Bergen. Fantastic. Only the very distant tree is in sharp focus, fore and background just shimmering with nordic "midnight" light.

Jo has also posted other photos showing the range of capabilities of the lens with different aperture settings.. Also how to mount one on a Speed.

Curious, I checked on E-* and the lens is still there, 4 more hours. Oh, I wish, I wish. but too much of a dream for me, an amateur. The seller has quite a collection of old lens for sale today along with the Aero. I might try for a smaller one.

Tom

Tom I've had two of them for nearly 40 years, one with a Nikon SLR mount and one with shutter for view or press. I have really liked them for years. I was with B&J and bought them from the lens bank.

Lynn