Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best practices on mailing 4x5 sheets

Best practices on mailing 4x5 sheets

I would like to get some recommendation on how I would send my exposed negatives to a photo lab. I will be using a Grafmatic sheet film holder with six sheets. I planned out already my workflow and at got stuck at the moment when I would pull out the exposed negatives/positives from the film holder. What is next? What's the best way to get them from my "dark" room to a lab?
    Any help appreciated.
    Miklos

Re: Best practices on mailing 4x5 sheets

Use a 3-piece film box to ship in.
    Ask that they return it to you when they're done.

I agree with Ari, but will add to tape that box shut and tape your business card or return address to the box.

Then, when you have it in the mailing envelope or outer box, tape the thing shut like there is no tomorrow, because there might not be one. Also, insure it for the cost of doing a reshoot including all expenses. Finally add order tracking in some form so you can at least see where it is at in shipping.

Two summers ago, one of the post office's express envelopes popped open somewhere in route in spite of their adhesive and one strip of packaging tape across the opening. At that point I had not bothered with these security measures and all was lost.

The lab got my envelope, but it was empty and no way to successfully locate the film box.

I lost three days of out of town shooting (over a hundred miles away) that took three weeks to reschedule and reshoot, all on my dime plus lost face with an important client.

Now I invest in packing tape.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Use a 3-piece film box to ship in.
    I was thinking about the same. I guess I just reuse one of the 10 sheet boxes for this purpose. It is sort of weird that there is no other way invented for this. As I will send in only the C-41 or E-6 film, it won't be difficult. But I wonder what people do who don't develop their own B&W. I got couple of boxes of Tmax with 50 sheets each. I wonder if someone has to wait to expose all the 50 sheets before sending it to develop. Anyway, B&W I do myself so there is no issue.
    With C-41 I just wait till all the 10 sheets are exposed.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Miklos

Like other say use a three piece box taped, I use plastic packing tape or very sticky masking tape.

My Opinion is

Do not mail film via the Postal service, they X ray packages. Especially If you are in a metro area of a large city.

Quote Originally Posted by miklosphoto View Post
    I would like to get some recommendation on how I would send my exposed negatives to a photo lab. I will be using a Grafmatic sheet film holder with six sheets. I planned out already my workflow and at got stuck at the moment when I would pull out the exposed negatives/positives from the film holder. What is next? What's the best way to get them from my "dark" room to a lab?
    Any help appreciated.
    Miklos
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

I've been sending my film out via priority mail with no noticeable x-ray problems. Is it confirmed that USPS x-rays its parcels?

I only shoot color so it didn't take long to have a lot of 10-sheet boxes sitting around. I put the film in the 3-part box and tape it on all edges with gaffers tape or packing tape. I keep meaning to order some of that "warning, exposed film" tape.

I have printed labels from my laser printer with my name, number, address, etc. I put them on the top and bottom of the box and clearly write the process on the top and bottom of the box (pretty much always C-41 for me).

I put the box in a ziploc bag with the processing order form. The bag may(?) provide protection if the box gets wet. Can't hurt in any event and it keeps the form with the film.

I also pre-print mailing label with the lab address to make sure it's more legible than my poor handwriting. I've been using the small USPS priority mail box which fits 4x5 film very well.

I haven't had any problems but I was wondering if the film could get scratched, since I put it loose into the box and it can slide around. Do any of you put it in an inner bag or something inside the box?

I send 4x5 and 8x10 e-6/c-41 to Samy's in S.B. via Priority Mail.

they're only 100 miles away from me, but I've NEVER had a problem with x-ray damage on any of the 400+ sheets of film I've sent them over the past 3 years. 120/35mm film hasn't showed any problems either.

but comparing with someone on the east coast, where the film will probably go on a plane, mine probably doesn't get scanned anyhow, since its going by a truck on the ground, but you never know

-Dan

oh... I send up to 30sheets in a 4x5 of 8x10 box(10 sht sized box). Its stuffed, but its the way I work if backpacking or going on a LONG day hike, and change film holders i the field while out. Gaffer's tape on all sides, packed in a FR envelope/small box, I've never had a problem

Edgar Praus does a lot of mail-order film, 1000s and 1000s per year.

Put it in an empty 3-pc film box. If you don't have enough empty ones, ask or buy some from friendlies here.

Don't be an idiot and try something new and creative here....

Tape all four sides with regular masking tape, go an inch on the top and an inch on the bottom, don't be ridiculous.... If you over-tape it, then it is a pain to open at the lab and they will hate your nervous paranoia... but it will hardly deter any nefarious zealot who wants to get into your box. Hell it probably makes them want to look inside that much harder.

Place box in an envelope. Use Priority Mail or FedEx. Stop fretting.

Anything can be X-rayed by any of the shippers and you will never know either way, and 99.9999% of the time it is harmless. You probably risk having it be lost well before it gets zapped.

Do they prescribe Xanax for this sort of thing?

Just got some film back from Samy's, always shipped both ways with Priority Mail. No problems on the film other than my own issues. I have done this several times recently. The X-rays harming film is an urban myth IMO.

When I shoot a back up negatives I sort by development time and use old film boxes. All of the first exposed negatives are stored in marked N, N+, N- Color etc film boxes. The back up negative is placed in an individual cardboard film mailer inside a black poly envelope. I attach individual film exposure notes to each mailer with a rubber band. If I do not shoot a back up negative I still put all exposed film in the appropriate box marked N, N- ,N+ , and Compensating. This methodology gets the exposed negatives set up for the length of time I need and organizes my work flow. Mailers are available from Freestyle Photo in California. A 5X7 with mailer and bag is around $.60 each. They can be found under Darkroom Supply/Dark Room Accessories/Misc. Sizes range from 5X7 to ULF. I use 5X7 for my 4X5 workflow. Here is the link. I do not know where these can be purchased outside of the USA.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5857-E...x7?cat_id=1603
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.