Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who/what was Wratten?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Who/what was Wratten?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    While I don't like gels over a camera lens, and greater prefer the superior optical properties of multicoated glass filters...
    I believe Wratten filters are equal to the best quality glass filters, and considerably better than the cheaper glass and plastic filters. Plus, you don't get the slight focus shift that happens when you add them after focusing. They do scratch easily though...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I always thought they were better than hard filters - thinner, less distorting, more clear, clean, and pure - according to the old farts who taught me. They thought the screw-in stuff was for duffers and 35mm photographers.

Drew Wiley

In terms of sharpness, all filters affect the image a bit, but the best results I've gotten
    are with high-quality multicoated glass ones, the worst with polyester and sandwiched
    glass Tiffens. Gels are extremely light and thin, but flap around in the wind and catch dirt easily. I've done plenty of testing, so hold to my original opinion. Things are a little
    different today than when glass filters were first intoduced and the mastodon meat at
    Safeway was still fresh (they still sell it, it's just not fresh anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Jerold -the agony
    when a box Wratten glass plate was dropped.
    Oooh! It's something that I've never thought of, and a certain part of my anatomy puckered tight when I read that line and thought about it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

How is the optical quality of polyesters vs. gels? I've seem many people (even pros) refer to a polyester filter as "color gel".

Certainly for field work a mounted hard filter will be more practical.

Drew Wiley

There are several types of plastic filters, typically in squares. Since polyester filter are thin and flexible like gel filters, they are sometimes casually called gels, but so
    are the acetate filters sometimes used for studio lighting. Lighting filters are unsuitable over lenses, and polyesters certainly aren't very good optically either, although they are tougher and generally cheaper than true Wratten gels. The other
    type of plastic filter, made of stiff acrylic resin, is relatively expensive, and more
    scratch and flare prone than good glass filters, but has a cost advantage in especially large sizes. Most often you see these come up used in the Sinar brand.
    I purchased a set of Lee polyester filters about twenty years ago, and it was a good
    investment for tricky architectural lighting setups when the 4x5 chromes did not need to be enlarged significantly, which is often the case in briefcase portfolios, business ads or brochures, or today, laptop presentations.

The Kodak Data Book, Filters and Pola-screens, 1951, designates all of the filters as Wratten Filters. It states:

Available Forms: Gelatin filter film, cemented in B glass, cemented in A glass, all common sizes.
    al

Lead singer of the Sex Pistols?

multiplex

johnny wratten