Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graflex 4" x 5" cameras as field cameras

Graflex 4" x 5" cameras as field cameras

Some of the MPP models also have rear tilt and swing, which can be useful. However, these cameras were designed as hand-held units, rather than tripod-based with movements. When I'm using a tripod, I prefer a lightweight monorail: there's no awkward folding/unfolding to do, and movements are very easy.

The Crown Graphics are good cameras but they don't have many movements. As Roger said above, you can get some tilt by dropping the bed, raising the lens board back to center, then adjusting the tilt as needed. A wood field camera might work better if you really need all the movements, and a very light monorail like the Calumet Cadet would also work. Actually, the Calumet could be bought new for just a little more than the Graphic.

As I posted earlier,I have a MPP Mk 8 body type c and it has very good forward and rear tilt of the lens, significant front rise, left and right lateral movement and I think the front standard can be turned off axis. The rear of the camera is very similar to the Linhof with 4 posts for a variety of rear movements. The back is fully revolving with tripod mounting on two face of the body. I find it to be a pleasure to use because of the metal fold out focussing hood. As for folding and unfolding, the camera with 150 Symmar attached folds in about 5 seconds flat. I borrowed a friend's monorail and found it very awkward for field work.

Additional point about using the MPP. If you use the studio users' trick of mounting it so that it is upside down, you can maximise the movements at the front. Though a point to note, if you want to use a polariod back with a Mk7, if you use the 545 you may need to file or grind a bit off the wings at the back, or you could just remove the ground glass.

You might also look around for a Meidian (mod.B). It has front shift, rise and tilt like the Graflex. Is built out of Alum. and has a rotating back like the late mod. graflex. Additional lensboards can be made from 3/32" Plywood (4"x4", same size as old Calumet Mod.400). In addition, the back is mounted on four pins that extend out about 1"-11/2" to give you rear swing and tilt. With the back extended you have about a max. of 14" of bellows draw. Only problem is it has a spring back that only accepts sheet film holders.