Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the lenses with the biggest image circle?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: What are the lenses with the biggest image circle?

One possibility is to watch for old projection lenses. I found a 36" f/6 projection triplet that lights up a 4-foot-plus circle at infinity, and 24" lenses are fairly common.

Another possibility is using the long elements of a convertible lens.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

There's a long-running debate among people who somehow create operas. Which comes first? The words or the music?

In this case, it probably would have been better, if not as much fun, to design the camera around a lens that the camera's makers/jokesters could find and afford instead of around a format. For ULF on a limited budget, first the lens and then the format seems better than first the format, then the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    There's a long-running debate among people who somehow create operas. Which comes first? The words or the music?

In this case, it probably would have been better, if not as much fun, to design the camera around a lens that the camera's makers/jokesters could find and afford instead of around a format. For ULF on a limited budget, first the lens and then the format seems better than first the format, then the lens.
    Hi Dan!
    We first wanted it to use as a pure modular pinhole camera. Right now we are rethinking the whole concept and we will probably make a new "cube" once we know which lens we can use.

Bye!

joseph

God bless your patience...

You seem to be doing very well without taking anyone's advice, there's no reason to start now-

A project like this can only serve to popularize the whole concept of the making of large images, and should be able to help capture the imagination of the wider public,
    although there will always be those who try to put you down, and seek to provide discouragement-

It seems you needn't be limited to a single format, or lens;
    if there's enough space inside for three people, you should be able to position a focal plane wherever you want, whatever size you want.
    I would imagine that a single exposure could turn out to be an event in itself.

Front elements, or single elements, as has been mentioned- that's a good idea-
    The bigger Rapid Rectilinears, Aplanats, they'll work-
    A single element off my Suter No. 6 is about 700mm, and lights up a big circle-
    though probably not as large as you need.

Front element off a longer Dialyte, like an Apo Ronar, same thing- though testing will be necessary- and I'm sure there are others too.
    And I know little about lenses, there are others here who could help more.

Since there are quite a few European posters here, who show off quite a few big lenses from time to time, perhaps they could try their lenses on your camera?
    It might mean having to make some sort of universal mount, but that shouldn't be beyond you- and it might mean posting a schedule, so people know where to find you.

There is an annual photography festival in Dublin in the summer, dates not arranged yet for this year, but usually in July-
    I'm sure the organizers would welcome an inquiry-

You might be able to contact them through this site-

http://www.photoireland.org/2010/

This would appear to be about Architecture as much as about Photography and Art, and should be able to pose more questions than it can answer-
    and it looks like a great adventure-

Of course, it would be great if it could produce really great photographs too-

For my truck camera, images 50x60 inches (127 cm x150 cm), I use a Kodak Red Dot, 35 inch lens. I unscrew the front element and use only the rear element. It has a focal length around 2300 mm. More than adequate coverage. Then lens is mounted in a shutter/aperture assembly, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by amonsul View Post
    Hi JB7!
    Our plan is to travel accross Europe to take pictures in all 27 EU nations. It's "a bit" ambitious I know but you should definitely come with us to take a picture!
    Sounds great - please post your schedule on this forum.

I wonder what kind of lens this one had. The lens doesn't look all that big.
    http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...eighs-14-tons/

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I wonder what kind of lens this one had. The lens doesn't look all that big.
    http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...eighs-14-tons/
    Our cube weights 250kg only! That's a progress

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    Sounds great - please post your schedule on this forum.
    Will do that. I should open a "Cube-thread" where I put all news

Quote Originally Posted by AF-ULF View Post
    For my truck camera, images 50x60 inches (127 cm x150 cm), I use a Kodak Red Dot, 35 inch lens. I unscrew the front element and use only the rear element. It has a focal length around 2300 mm. More than adequate coverage. Then lens is mounted in a shutter/aperture assembly, which is nice.
    I also take images of the same size! We are currently using a "piece" of an old projector lens. It's ok but not fats enough for portraits.