Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fastest shutter for an 8x10

Fastest shutter for an 8x10

I'm looking for a shutter. or a wide lens with a shutter that will cover 8x10 and has a shutter speed that is faster than 1/125. I've been told that this may not be something I can find. I need to stop a fast moving object dead and this isn't happening even with a strobe a 1/125 although its close. Any suggestions on makes models of lenses/copal 3 shutters that have high shutter speeds. I'm sure this would be easier with a smaller format, but I'm committed to doing it in 8x10.

Thanks,

Al Harding

Octogenarian

Re: Fastest shutter for an 8x10

Two lenses that I have owned:

The Nikon/Nikkor f8 120SW will barely cover 8x10, is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter with a top speed of 1/500 sec.

The Nikon/Nikkor f8 150SW will easily cover 8x10, is mounted in a Copal 1 shutter with a top speed of 1/400 sec.

There are many other focal length lenses mounted in Copal 0 or Copal 1 shutters that will cover 8x10.

How about a 240mm G Claron in a Copal 1? Or a 300mm Nikon M?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stefan

If you are shooting with flash, the most important thing for freezing movement is the flash duration. There is no difference between a flash-lit shot at 1/125 and 1/500 if the flash duration is 1/1000 (presuming the ambient light is too low to matter).

Octogenarian

The OP mentioned that he is looking for a wide angle lens.

Google, "High speed flash photography", for info on how to do it with a strobe.

A number of lenses in Copal 1 (1/400) will cover 8x10. Fujinon 250 comes to mind but there are many, many others. Do you need movements? If not then there are perhaps a hundred lenses in Copal 1 that could be used.

Smaller format won't make much difference. 35mm SLR 1/60 to 1/250, MF 1/500 usually.

Maybe you need to work on controlling ambient light or get higher power, shorter duration, flash units.

Foamer

I shoot fast moving objects all the time. I do it at night. Shutter speed doesn't matter a whole lot. My flash has a "shutter speed" of about 1/1000 sec. Is that going to be fast enough?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Al, you need to look at your flash unit's duration. IIRC my Speedotron has a duration of 1/300s, while a Vivitar 285 has a duration of at most 1/1000th/sec.

Vivitar 285
    Flash Duration (Auto) 1/1000 - 1/30000sec
    Flash Duration (Manual) 1/1000sec

Of course, the Speedotron puts out a lot more light. There are also flashes developed for high-output, short-duration bursts. They are expensive, but you might be able to rent something.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Of course, the Speedotron puts out a lot more light. There are also flashes developed for high-output, short-duration bursts. They are expensive, but you might be able to rent something.
    THere is a new monolight out by Paul Buff. It has something like 1/1000s duration at half power. The duration gets shorter as you cut power. It starts with 640ws, which is quite a bit. The monolight is called Einstein.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/pcb2009/einstein.html

I just bought one of these. Very, very light!
    http://www.white-lightning.com/vmini.html

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Duration with strobes can be so short that I believe Kodak was the first to offer reciprocity failure information for too fast of an exposure duration. I doubt you'll get what you want with an 8X10 or a shutter. More details might help.