Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BRAND NEW to Large Format, got a few questions

BRAND NEW to Large Format, got a few questions

I just picked up a Cambo 4x5 camera, I'm assuming it to be the SC45.

It came with a Kapture Group sliding digital adapter back, but of course no capture device.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get this camera ready to shoot film, or hopefuly, shoot some sort of instant film.

I do NOT have a ground glass or film holder on the back of the camera.

What exactly would I need to get into the instant film game?

What I assume I need is the Fuji PA45 to hold the actual film, and then this slides into... what? Does this slide into a generic ground glass/film holder?

What's a good way to get a ground glass/film holder? They seem to be almost as expensive as a lens!

Ideally I want to get rid of this Kapture Group sliding back (it's setup for a PhaseOne) and move back into film.

I have a lot of experience with full-manual photography (I have shot roughly 3000 photos on a broken Pentax K1000 with no light meter) and want to try this large format game.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: BRAND NEW to Large Format, got a few questions

I assume that the digital adapter is held ont the camera using the Graflock sliders so removing it might be easy. I don't know that for sure, though. It sounds like you don't have the spring part of the Cambo back but I saw at least one of them ebay the other day so replacing it might just be a matter of $$. That would be needed to focus (the ground glass) and to hold regular film holders.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I assume that the digital adapter is held ont the camera using the Graflock sliders so removing it might be easy. I don't know that for sure, though. It sounds like you don't have the spring part of the Cambo back but I saw at least one of them ebay the other day so replacing it might just be a matter of $$. That would be needed to focus (the ground glass) and to hold regular film holders.
    The Kapture group does in fact mount using the small sliding switch on the rear of the camera (now this has a new name to me, the 'graflock') and when i take it off, it basically leaves just the rear frame.

The 'spring part' you mean, is that the entire unit that would click into the same graflock connector and would be an inetegral ground glass/film holder and has a little lever to pop the ground class back to slide in the film holder?

After you remove the digital back you should see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMBO-CAMERA-ADA...item19bed63267

If not, you might need to buy one.

If you see that, then you'll need this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMBO-CAMERA-REA...item19bed632ec

You need both of these parts on the back of your Cambo to take regular LF film pictures.

Here's some photos of the back I have and the camera. These arent of MY caera, but I took these from a very similar camera I saw on ebay last week.

Not Graflok.... rather Cambo propietary

Looking at the second picture, you can see on the larger outer frame of the back, the two chrome clips at the bottom which the back drops into, and the sliding tab at the top (about two inches long) that engage two notches in the top of the back. This is a typical proprietary (OEM) back engagement mechanism for Cambo backs.

You will need to find a standard Cambo back which then has the attachment mechanisms for a more universal film holding mechanism, such as graflok (grafllok is basically two chrome sliders that engage the sides of film holders and other back accessories... one was pictured in a previous post) and/or other accessories.

So, look for a Cambo back that matches the outer dimensions and notches of the outer perimeter of your digital back. When you take the whole digital back off you should just have a square hole the size of the Cambo back frame.

You may spend some time looking for a back. I would search for Cambo camera's that may be parts camera's wherein you may be able to scavenge a back.

Watch eBay, rinse and repeat, until you achieve success.

Or, look for a complete camera. Sometimes, considering how prices have dropped, you are much further ahead to buy a complete camera to start with. Unless the Cambo you have was free, or almost free, I'd look for a whole camera.

But then, I am me...... I would probably waste untold hours trying to put together a kit from parts scavenged from around the world and listed on eBay. Shipping and time spent (@ $50 per hour, which is what I charge myself) will surely take me way over the price of just buying what I should have in the first place.

You'll need both of the parts I mentioned above. The nominal size is 6 inch by 6 inch.

Re: Not Graflok.... rather Cambo propietary

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    Or, look for a complete camera. Sometimes, considering how prices have dropped, you are much further ahead to buy a complete camera to start with. Unless the Cambo you have was free, or almost free, I'd look for a whole camera.
    This is what I was tempted to suggest earlier in the thread but wanted to wait until I saw a picture of what you have.

Be patient with ebay, I've seen complete backs come to auction for less than the cost of those two parts mentioned above.

The camera was in fact free, given to me by my gf's parents who used to own a photo store.

The camera is in fantastic condition and the lens seems to be perfect, so I will probably take the ill-advised route of making this one whole again either through a parts camera purchase or ebay hunting for the individual parts.

Does this kapture group back have any residual value in and of itself?

Maybe there's some perfect cosmological alignment I can work with and find someone with a Phase One Lightphase who wants to use it on his oldschool film Cambo 4x5 haha.

Stefan

Could I ask what lens? If it was used with a digital back, there is a risk that it will not cover 4x5.