Thread: Neg / Pos digital neg real film

Neg / Pos digital neg real film

Hi Folks

What you see here is Black and White film that has been exposed in my Lambda and processed in HC110. This film was imaged today .
    As well you see the matted print Image and matted calibration. These are Lambda fibers done in 2003 on Agfa Classic , now I use the Harmon Paper.
    The ugly guy you see beside me is Keith Corby*known as filmnut here on LLF* who 8 years ago worked with me on the Lambda fibres, and today works with me at Elevator. I am the good looking guy with the Canada toque.
    I believe the Negative and Positive will be useful for photographers doing alt process. I think the main advantage of this method of producing negs is that the film is real silver exposed by light using RGB laser technology.
    Which has archival propertys, as well I think making 40x50 film will be as easy as 30x40 as easy as 20x24 as easy as 16x20 which you see in the jpegs.

We are working on being able to do carbons, platinum, gumover platinum, and tri colour gum. I have to thank Kerik, Ike, and Sandy King who's workshops I attended and began to figure out how to make my own film using equipment I already have , bought and paid for.
    I would be interested in talking to anyone doing photo gravure as to the possibility of this film working..
    Protection masks for multiple hit can and will be done using Fuji Clear or inkjet *which is much cheaper than this silver film*

Bob

Re: Neg / Pos digital neg real film

Bob, roughly how much does having a negative made cost?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter

I am not there yet, basically still in testing stage, next step is to make a bunch of prints off these negs. The ones you see are from digital capture from a NY photographer who I am going to make lith prints from these neg for a show in May.
    I would at some time be putting these into a commercial platform but right now not confident enough with the whole process to sell .

Bob

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Bob, roughly how much does having a negative made cost?

Looks promising Bob. I'll toast ya when the process is ready for the public!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I don't know how I got to be the ugly guy!
    Keith

I'll definitely be following this with interest.

Looks very interesting.

Do you think the resolution is good enough to contact print on silver gelatin paper?

good question.
    The image you see is from a current model DSLr Cannon . The photographer is a long time client out of the States and he has been working on a project over 10 years.
    First it was film then he he moved to digital because he is a commercial photographer.
    I have louped the film and it looks good, I will be making lith and silver prints over the next couple of weeks and post my thoughts and the images on this thread.

Here are my thoughts before I make the print... The lith print will be spectacular as with lith printing grain, contrast , the laying down of tones are not as critical as real silver printing, with lith you are looking for a cool factor .

With contact silver printing , I believe the print will look good , but to a very critical eye the multiple steps> digital capture> image process> output to film>contact to silver> may be one to many steps for me. I may be wrong,
    It may be like the difference in making a print from original neg to one from a copy neg.
    whether or not one will see artifacting is not an issue unless the workflow is flawed which in this case it is not.

I will know in a few weeks this very issue , unfortunately I do not have a apples to apples comparison for you yet.

Plan - coming weeks- we will shoot with our Phase Back on hasseblad a scene, as well put on the regular back and shoot film,
    Process both to the best of our abilitys, Then make print from enlarger, print from lambda , and print from digital neg of this scene and compare. All the prints will be on Ilford silver paper and processed through trays.
    Print size will be 20 x 24 to give enough of and enlargment to stress the scene

From this I will have a much better idea of how viable making digital negs or pos for that matter , to be used in traditional contact printing.

What I immediately see as viable is recording of old print/negs digitally fixing and then outputting onto more archival print medias, silver included.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfactor View Post
    Looks very interesting.

Do you think the resolution is good enough to contact print on silver gelatin paper?

That sounds great. Its really good that you are doing super methodical testing. I cant wait to see the results!

Uhmmm, which one is the ugly guy? He one of the right, or the one on the left?