Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: e6 chemistry in the usa .... help......

Re: e6 chemistry in the usa .... help......

Just curious, I know the OP said he doesn't want to use the Freestyle house brand, but anyone have any experience with it? E6 chemistry is pretty well known and not rocket science. I'd think it would work fine, no?

Well, I have half a mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Just curious, I know the OP said he doesn't want to use the Freestyle house brand, but anyone have any experience with it? E6 chemistry is pretty well known and not rocket science. I'd think it would work fine, no?
    I've gone through a couple gallons of the Arista. So far, so good. Only major difference from other 3-step developer kits like Tetenal is that the preferred developing temperature is 105 degrees instead of 100 (The instructions also include developing times for 70, 75, 80, and 85 degrees).

I just placed an order with Freestyle yesterday but they are out of the Arista 1 Gallon developer kits right now - hopefully it is because of high demand and not just another bad sign for E-6 users.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lemasters View Post
    I've gone through a couple gallons of the Arista. So far, so good. Only major difference from other 3-step developer kits like Tetenal is that the preferred developing temperature is 105 degrees instead of 100 (The instructions also include developing times for 70, 75, 80, and 85 degrees).

I just placed an order with Freestyle yesterday but they are out of the Arista 1 Gallon developer kits right now - hopefully it is because of high demand and not just another bad sign for E-6 users.
    Good to know. I'm just getting back into film and LF myself (just retrieved my darkroom gear from my parents' basement in TN and brought back to my house in Georgia and not even set up yet) and plan to concentrate mainly on B&W but I might want to do some E6, particularly if I get a decent scanner. B&W I'll do all traditional, but with the demise of type R chromogenic papers and the all-but-demise and sky high price for Ilfochrome, it seems a hybrid approach is more workable for color. I have a CPE2, and I did a fair amount of E6 of various brands, mostly Unicolor, back in the day. It all looked just as good as Kodak.

thanks for all the input after a lot of looking around, at the present time the freestyle artisa looks like it is the one...or Kodak 10L or 5 gallon cubes... i talked to my lab today and using the starters with larger quantity's look to be quite the hassle... he mentioned after starting the developers there was some sort of aging process... any way i am going to give the 3 bath method a try... wish i could still do the 6 bath...
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skagroovy View Post
    thanks for all the input after a lot of looking around, at the present time the freestyle artisa looks like it is the one...or Kodak 10L or 5 gallon cubes... i talked to my lab today and using the starters with larger quantity's look to be quite the hassle... he mentioned after starting the developers there was some sort of aging process... any way i am going to give the 3 bath method a try... wish i could still do the 6 bath...
    thanks
    FWIW, back when three bath came out I was doing quite a bit of E6 then and I did a comparison between three bath and six bath. I couldn't tell the difference so I settled on the three bath.

hmm i guess when they get it in stock i will give it a try... thanks to all...

Any news about Tetanol for 4x5 film? This is a 3 stage process that other people
    have recommended - and says is as good as 6 step. I e-mailed the factory
    sales to see if they have any info. B and H has it out of stock.

Steve

I E-mailed Tetenal in Germany - they said not suppliers on this side of the pond. There is a UK supplier on E-Bay. The House Brand is temporarily out in LA, but they said they planned on carrying this.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S Allen View Post
    I E-mailed Tetenal in Germany - they said not suppliers on this side of the pond. There is a UK supplier on E-Bay. The House Brand is temporarily out in LA, but they said they planned on carrying this.

Steve
    What house brand? Who planned on carrying what? Tetanal? Re-branded Tetanal? Or are you referring to the Freestyle kits?

Freestyle kits are in... just ordered a gallon kit.. they said there are no issues with supply of this kit and the stock about 10 - 25 kits regularly.... i will report i have 2 rolls of velvia 50 that need to be dipped....