Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti Newton Glass

Re: Anti Newton Glass

Let me ask another question then, with my 4990 I run into this RED hazing when I am scanning my negatives. It's very difficult to clone out and appears on every negative that I scan... I can't figure out what I need to clean in order to not get it anymore... I've cleaned the scanner glass, cleaned the negatives... etc etc... any advice?

Well, if it's on every negative you scan, then it's probably not from negative processing, although you should use a loupe on one just to be sure.

Is the transparency light source clean? Does the inside of the glass look clean? It could also be dust on the lens or sensor. With some careful looking, you can find info on how to clean inside the glass.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

There is a "haze" on the inside of the glass... Think that might be it? I've seen the directions to dissect the scanner and clean it, just a little frightened too.

p.s. ICE seems to take it out, with some difficulty (or 30min scan times), but it's not an ideal solution.

If it's an even haze, then while it might lead to a loss of overall contrast, I doubt it would cause the spots in question. Make absolutely sure it's not from marks on your negatives. It's possible that your camera lens is dirty.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

If the spots are in the same place on all negatives, Photoshop Lightroom will copy the healing spots from one negative to all negatives with similar spots.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Convinced that this would negatively impact sharpness, I built a carrier using clear optical glass. I wet-mounted the film to the optical glass and compared scans with ones made with the clam-shell holders. Even at 6000 dpi I couldn't see any difference in file detail.
    Interesting. I wet mount my negs to float glass, and place on a shim to correct for focal height. It works but is a huge pain. I'd be interested in a solution like this if there's an easy way to Magyver it on a 4870 scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Interesting. I wet mount my negs to float glass, and place on a shim to correct for focal height. It works but is a huge pain. I'd be interested in a solution like this if there's an easy way to Magyver it on a 4870 scanner.
    Back when I used a Canon 9950F, a consumer flat-bed scanner, wet-mounting did give me better scans. As a result, it looks like it's highly scanner depended as to whether wet-mounting is helpful or not. With the Cezanne the light source, for instance, is much bigger than on a consumer flatbed.

The AN texture on my clam-shell holders is extremely fine. It's finer than the texture on Focal Point AN glass. I don't know of a source other than Screen, and it's likely that buying one of the clam-shell holders will cost about what a high end consumer scanner does. You could try getting some AN glass and making a DIY sandwhich holder. The only way to tell if it impacts sharpness would be to test it. Scanning through another piece of glass would move the optimum scanning height a bit.

If you want to "make" your own, you will need to acid etch the glass. It is not an easy process, especially if you want to get it to a level of fine-ness that minimizes the chance of interfering with a scan. The process used on our glass that is made in Euopre actually uses an acid vapor etching process. The anti-newton glass we sell is super-fine but I still don't like to put another piece of glass between the film and scanner's optics if I can avoid it.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Speaking as someone who's acid-etched glass for ground glass, don't do this yourself. It is dangerous and very, very difficult to get an even etch. If I wanted to try what's being discussed, I'd buy some of Doug's AN glass.