Thread: Ag Again...

Talking Ag Again...

Hi everyone!

I remember the moment I wanted to be a photographer. It was when my 7th grade science teacher showed the class a picture of a star trail. Since then, I've been treating photography mostly as a hobby, though there was a stint in high school when I was ready to commit to going to college to learn it, but my parents were somewhat old fashioned and the words 'real' and 'job' were mentioned. Since then, I've spent my life being a soldier, a Marine, tech support, and security guard. I've lived on both coasts of the USA and have been in Scotland for the past six years.

Now at the age of 45, I'm convinced I've had enough 'real jobs' and am going to learn all I can about it. I'm currently attending college in an HNC Photography course, and can say that digital has been nudged back to 2nd place. There is real satisfaction in shooting with film, and using your skills in the darkroom to develop and print the images.

I don't have a lot of film experience, but that'll change over the next few months as I recently became the owner of a Graflex Crown Graphic and its intended use will be for an important college project. I feel confident that I can put film through it, but there are a few things here and there that seem to confuse. I'll address that in the proper thread...but anyway, That's me...Jim.
    Last edited by grafnik; 6-Jan-2011 at 07:50. Reason: grammatical errors

Film and Darkroom User

Re: Ag Again...

Do you intend going all the way and doing your own darkroom work?
    Regards
    Dave
    The PPC

Welcome to the wonderful world of large format. I doubt that you'll stop at 4x5 (always say 4x5 on this forum, it keeps the colonials happy).
    You'll get loads of help on this forum, never be afraid to ask!
    Darkrooms are great.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

The college has all the requisite materials for black and white, but since color is only touched on very briefly for another photography course there, any color work I intend to do will be processed professionally, and unless I want to scan and print at the college they will also be printed professionally. I do intend to 'get to know' the GCG by shooting, processing, and printing black and white on my own, but this project that is coming up will be color. I intend to shoot with the LF as the primary, and using a MF and my digital (D700) as back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of large format. I doubt that you'll stop at 4x5 (always say 4x5 on this forum, it keeps the colonials happy).
    You'll get loads of help on this forum, never be afraid to ask!
    Darkrooms are great.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.
    ...as a native 'colonial' (hey...at least it wasn't yank <shudders>), I thank you! I have the pleasure of easily floating between metric and imperial measurements, as well as the left or right side of the road...

Welcome to group therapy, Jim. There is a wealth of information to be tapped here!

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes! It goes without saying that I kinda feel like a fish out of water atm, but am confident enough to at least get the film in and press the shutter release. My biggest goal for the year is to attempt a shot of the Northern Lights. I've picked Tromso in Norway as the destination, and if the financial aspects of this project pan out, It should be quite doable. Its not the be-all end-all of the project, so if I don't get there, that's ok, but I really would like to try.