Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginners Camera!

Beginners Camera!

I went down the rabbit hole of links, and found this 4x5 camera for sale. Sorry if this has been posted before, and I have no relationship to the company.
    https://standardcameras.com/products...andard-4x5-2-0

Mike

Re: Beginners Camera!

This camera does not have rear tilt, which some LF photographers would find unacceptable. Also, some parts are 3-D printed, which might not be desirable. Buying a new or used camera that has been in production for years lets the new buyer benefit from the long-time experience of users of those cameras.

It's an interesting camera. They've been around for a few years, and this seems to be their second generation.

This is a very basic camera, and probably the cheapest one you can buy new. It's even cheaper than an Intrepid. Being basic also means that it's light and portable, and there are fewer things to go wrong. Spare parts also seem to be readily available.

This type of camera makes sense for someone who's a "beginner" who wants to get their feet wet at minimal expense and risk. Sure, you can find an old used camera with more capability at a similar price, but if you don't know what to look for in terms of needed repairs, then your first experiences could be a disaster.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Looks like a decent camera but Roberts Camera has a Cambo 4x5 SC monorail on flea bay for $184 or best offer. It isn't new like this Standard is but it is an awfully good 4x5 camera with a proven track record and it appears to be all there. I am certainly no expert but for a beginners camera I think the Cambo has more going for it. I am a bit biased since that is the camera I am learning on right now.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    Looks like a decent camera but Roberts Camera has a Cambo 4x5 SC monorail on flea bay for $184 or best offer. It isn't new like this Standard is but it is an awfully good 4x5 camera with a proven track record and it appears to be all there. I am certainly no expert but for a beginners camera I think the Cambo has more going for it. I am a bit biased since that is the camera I am learning on right now.
    A beginner needs to ask themselves if they are truly capable of evaluating a used camera. For example, if the bellows have light leaks, how would you discover that, and how would you resolve that if any are found? It might take many sheets of ruined film, at considerable expense, to find that out the hard way. That is just one likely scenario. Another thing to consider is the size and weight of a Cambo. These are very heavy cameras, and were designed to be used in a studio. It's a completely different animal.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

The Standard has front and rear swing, and does not weigh much, so turning it on its side to get rear tilt isn't as bad as it could be. I'd like to see a friction wheel or something on the rear standard for focusing assistance, rather than just moving the standards by hand.

We all have out favourites which are a balance of what we could find, afford, and have the features we like. For this one, every extra part adds cost to the stock and the assembly time, so at this price point there has to be limits set. I am not in the market for one (I have far too many cameras and far to few hours to use them, as it is), but I am happy to see it on offer.
    Last edited by Graham Patterson; 4-Nov-2023 at 10:27. Reason: Inprecise

An interesting cross between the Bender kit camera and Peter Gowland's PocketView 4x5s.

Taking into consideration several decades of helping students learn 4x5, many beginners would benefit from a heavier, full movement, more stable camera to learn on...such as the Calumet monorails the university had (along with Graphics View or two). Less likely to have camera vibration be an issue and an inexperienced hand is less likely to pull the camera over. I have used my 2.5 lb 4x5 camera on a 2.5 pound tripod...a skittish thing.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

keep an eye on the classifieds here... ive seen many really nice cameras and lenses for sale at great prices.

anyway its more about the lenses with large format. the camera is only a dark box to hold your film.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I regularly see the old Kodak/Calumet monorails in in very good condition in the $100 range. Those were standard professional cameras with full movements front and rear.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

As sharktooth noted, the weight of this camera is great. Save your back, go light! Flipping it on the side for tilt would not be an issue. Also note, they are willing to make adaptations for purchasers. A lightweight camera being stable is not an issue if you have a substantial tripod.

Mike