Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold light head repair

Robert Taylor

cold light head repair

The Zone VI VC cold light head on my D 5 stopped producing "hard" light as of yesterday. Produces yellow light as usual. I have a temporary fix with my old Aristo non vc head but...now I turn to you guys, the experts to ask for help. Since Zone VI is long defunct and even Aristo seems no longer to exist, I am nervously seeking options. Anyone know: A What the problem might be? B Who could fix it? C What might replace the head and do a better job? Regarding the latter, I am not madly in love with the Zone VI head since warm up time/light output has seemed a little quirky over the years (though I am used to it, which counts for a lot!). In the middle of this, a digital convert has made me a pretty good offer on an LPL 4550 with Dichroic head...so this opens a new can of worms to ask your advice on. Looking into it has brought up questions regarding excessive halogen light heat (at the negative) vs. cold light, respective light intensity affecting exposure times, dichro vs VCCE to print black and white and the general quality of that model of LPL enlarger. To focus this better, I print only black and white and print 645 and 4x5 on the D 5. Thank you all very much in advance for any suggestions you may be able to offer!

Re: cold light head repair

I'd just look for a Chromega D head for your D5. I see them frequently on e-bay and CL.

In terms of temperature, I measured the external housing of my 10x10 coldlight and got around 40C when it is warmed up. My 2000w 10x10 color head has an external temp around 40C with my usual 20 to 30 sec exposures.

I know this does not answer the question about heat at the negative stage on your "D" enlarger, but I'd think the Dichroic head and Zone VI coldlight would be similar (unless one is dimmer).

Robert Taylor

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not familiar with the Chromega D but I guess it would fit my D5 "Pro-Lab 4x5" even though it is about 1976 vintage. Were there issues with the Chromega D that you would advise me to look out for in used ones (especially in terms of black and white printing). Thanks very much for your time and thoughts on this. Robert

Octogenarian

Call Calumet Photo. (1-800-CALUMET).

Talk to the Tech. Dept.

They still have bulbs for the Zone VI VC heads, and might be able to replace your burned out one.

(At least they did a few months ago)

Quote Originally Posted by robert taylor View Post
    Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not familiar with the Chromega D but I guess it would fit my D5 "Pro-Lab 4x5" even though it is about 1976 vintage. Were there issues with the Chromega D that you would advise me to look out for in used ones (especially in terms of black and white printing). Thanks very much for your time and thoughts on this. Robert
    Not much to go wrong with a Chromega D head. They were in production from 1971 until present without much change (except for the external color and the wheel numbers).

Robert Taylor

My thanks to both Gem Singer and ic-racer for your answers. Gem, I will contact Calumet tomorrow--thanks. As regards the Chromega suggestion, there's an entire Chromega enlarger for sale on ebay for $250 so looks like your lead is a good one too, ic-racer, thanks for both of your responses. Robert

This information is not quite two years old, but last time I needed a new tube this is who I dealt with:

Louise M. Kessler

Voltarc Technologies/Aristo Lighting Technologies, Inc.
    Specialty Products Group
    400 Captain Neville Dr
    Waterbury, Connecticut 06705
    e-mail: Louise.Kessler@voltarc.com
    Ph: 203-578-3716
    Fx: 203-575-3456

Robert Taylor

Kevin,

Thank you very much for the very complete information regarding Louise. I emailed her earlier and look forward to her reply, which of course, if received, I will pass along to forum users who may now or in the future need to replace their head. At this age, replacing the head on my shoulders would be an even better idea, but science seems not to have advanced quite that far yet...

Robert

Just to cover the last base, the LPL 4550 comes very highly recommended with any of its three heads. Try searches here and on Apug.org. I have had a LPL 4550 VCCE XLG for several years. The only problem I ever read about these enlargers or experienced with any of the heads was light leaks. These can be taped over with gaffer tape as long a you leave enough room for heat exhaust. That mistake cost me a bulb, but they aren't expensive and are available at B&H.

I've now moved on to larger negatives and a cold light so I have the same worry as you.

Good luck.

John

I love my LPL, and bulbs are available elsewhere than B&H for a fraction of the cost that B&H seems to want now. Bulbs seem to last 50 hours (a lot of printing!), but I'm on my third, and just got two spares.

A great enlarger with the VCCE head.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com