Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Rental Death Valley

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Jeep Rental Death Valley

Has nayone here rented a Jeep in Death Valley? Are there others aside from Farabee's Jeep Rentals? Good experience? Thanks!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Jeep Rental Death Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Has nayone here rented a Jeep in Death Valley? Are there others aside from Farabee's Jeep Rentals? Good experience? Thanks!
    Not sure about the specifics Richard, but I would advise making reservations ahead of time if possible as I saw folks driving them all over the place - they seemed to be a popular option for exploring some of the rougher roads.

I plan to go out again in the next couple of months - this last trip just wasn't enough :-)

Cheers,
    Leon

Quote Originally Posted by SocalAstro View Post
    I plan to go out again in the next couple of months - this last trip just wasn't enough :-)

Cheers,
    Leon
    Well if you're there between Feb 7 and 11, I'll buy you a coffee!!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

I would assume that most people would rent Jeeps in Las Vegas and do the two hour drive. There may be rentals closer in Pahrump which is about an hour closer.

The towns in Death Valley are tiny but there may be one or two at the Furnace Creek Inn or in Beatty, Nevada.

If you read up on Beatty, Nevada back when the nuclear testing was done a number of farmers refused to move. All the hair fell off the cows and some of the children died at a very young age if lukemia. The government workers told the farmers that their cow's milk was probably OK but that they would just exchange the milk for them just in case. Nice!

Where will you be travelling from to get to Death Valley?

As you probably already know the park is huge and it's good to have a well thought out travel plan. I decided to drive to see some of the charcoal kilns from Furnace creek and it took me three and a half to four hours to get there.

Lots of great things to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jeffery View Post
    I would assume that most people would rent Jeeps in Las Vegas and do the two hour drive. There may be rentals closer in Pahrump which is about an hour closer.

The towns in Death Valley are tiny but there may be one or two at the Furnace Creek Inn or in Beatty, Nevada.

If you read up on Beatty, Nevada back when the nuclear testing was done a number of farmers refused to move. All the hair fell off the cows and some of the children died at a very young age if lukemia. The government workers told the farmers that their cow's milk was probably OK but that they would just exchange the milk for them just in case. Nice!

Where will you be travelling from to get to Death Valley?

As you probably already know the park is huge and it's good to have a well thought out travel plan. I decided to drive to see some of the charcoal kilns from Furnace creek and it took me three and a half to four hours to get there.

Lots of great things to see.
    Dave,

Please explain how hairless cows relates to renting Jeeps in Death Valley.

I could rent in Las Vegas but since there is an outlet in DV, I thought that would be more convenient as I contiunue to JTNP after a few days in DV, with my rental car. I just thought of renting a Jeep for a day to visit the Racetrack and drive through Titus Canyon. Alternatively, if anyone with Jeep wants to meet me for a day and drive me there, great!

Jay -I appologize I should have marked the paragraph about the history of Beatty with an O.T. It is not my intention to upset anyone and I posted this late at night. I'm a terrible writer and poster so please forgive me and I'll try and explain it below but it is once again it's O.T. All the best for 2011 !!!

O.T. Many people that rent Jeeps do so in part to drive through Titus Canyon and the typical route from Las Vegas passes through the town of Beatty due to the entrance to Titus Canyon being one way, and starting from west of Beatty. When I Googled Beatty years ago I was shocked to learn of the history of the people that lived there during the nuclear testing and given how extremely unusual it was I thought I would pass on the information to others travelling to Death Valley.

O.T. The rocks on the road between where one exits the hole in the rock formation of Titus Canyon and Scotty's Castle Road are extremely sharp and cut large chunks out of tires at high speeds.

O.T. Brian - You may have done so already but make sure and look at the driving distances on a map to judge your travel time through Titus Canyon from Furnace Creek as it can be a little decieving and you won't be driving very quickly on the Titus Canyon Road. Also, if you are driving from Furnace Creek it can be easy to miss the turnoff onto the dirt road into Titus Canyon so a GPS may come in handy or know the distances on a map. There were no signs as of a year or so ago and there are no distinct natural markers and the Titus Canyon road is one way only. Typically there is a lot of fine dust on the dirt roads which rattles into some vehicles (especially at high speeds). I hope some of this is helpful for your trip.

I've never needed a Jeep or 4x4 for driving through Titus Canyon and a Jeep may not be needed if the road is in good condition as it usually is, but there has been some rain lately. If you don't travel to the Racetrack you may not need a Jeep. I don't know anything about Farrabee's rentals.

Once again sorry Jay for the O.T. post

Have Fun.
    Last edited by Dave Jeffery; 3-Jan-2011 at 07:08. Reason: potentially insensitive

So Farabees was only opened last April and I hadn't heard of it.

Note this from the rental site
    "**** Mileage limited to 200 miles per day."

Brian -You may need a wrench for the speedometer cable : )

200 miles a day is easy to travel in DV and I'm not sure why there is that restriction? Furnace Creek to Badwater is 60 miles and from Furnace Creek through Titus Canyon back to Scotty's Castle road is not a short drive.

http://www.farabeesjeeprentals.com/i...rates&catid=35

Brain - I you would like more information please PM me. I'll be in Shoshone and Badwater on Thursday and may make it up to Furnace Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jeffery View Post
    Brain - I you would like more information please PM me. I'll be in Shoshone and Badwater on Thursday and may make it up to Furnace Creek.
    Dave, were the last 3 posts to me - Richard, the OP? Regardless, thank you for the good information! 200 miles a day is ridiculous and it seems you can't go over (no per mile charge) - you would need to pay for another day? If you DO go to Furnace Creek this Thursday, maybe you could ask for me? Thank you for your comments...