Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300mm Sironar-S doesn't fit Phillips Explorer

300mm Sironar-S doesn't fit Phillips Explorer

I have a late-model Phillips Explorer 8x10 that takes Technika-style lensboards. I used to use a 300mm APO Symmar-L lens with it with no problems.

I tried mounting a 300mm Sironar-S for the first time last night and found that while the lens rear element fits through the circular hole in Explorer, if I try and angle the lens in order to slot the bottom edge of the lens board in, the top of the rear element doesn't clear.

This wasn't an issue with the APO Symmar-L since the rear-element on that lens didn't immediately flare out. There was some clearance so I was able to insert the rear-element through the opening and then angle the lens.

It looks like if I were able to get a Copal 3 lens board that was drilled just 2mm lower, I'd be able to make the 300mm Sironar-S work, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone run across this issue with the 300mm Sironar-S?

Does anyone know where I can get a Copal 3 lens board custom drilled?

Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Picture of lens without lens boards is the APO Symmar-L. Picture of lens with lens board is the Sironar-S. Notice the difference in rear element shape.

Re: 300mm Sironar-S doesn't fit Phillips Explorer

Yes, there are a few modern lenses with especially large rear cells that won't fit through the front standard of most of Dick's cameras, or at least can't tilt into place when mounted, as you've discovered.

I discussed this with Dick when I bought a new camera from him. He ended up carving an extra "bite" out of the top part of the front standard opening in the camera to accommodate the lenses I wanted to be able to use.

Big Bend

How about a top hat lens board for that lens?

You may be able to re-mount it in a board with a lower hole. I was able to put a low hole on the board for my 300mm Fujinon, but my 210 Angulon needed a hole centered around the lip.

Linhof 001013 Technika lens board with a pilot hole. Any machinest and most camera repair shops can then mill a hole to clear the lip of the hole in your front standard. It is an easy fix.

OK, my bad for not paying close enough attention on my first read, though I think the result is the same. Do you have a camera from Dick's last run of Explorers, that takes Technika rather than Sinar boards?

The 300 S shouldn't be a problem on Phillips cameras that take Sinar boards, but of course the opening on those Technika-board Explorers is much smaller. If there's no excess frame to be carved away as there is on the cameras with the larger front standard, you'll have to try with a board drilled a bit lower than usual. If that doesn't work, I think you'll just have to go with the smaller lens.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I've never seen a top hat lens board. I imagine that's just the opposite of a recessed lens board? Where would I find one?

I think there is some frame that could be cut away to let the lens clear, but I think I'll leave that as a last resort. I'm going to get a hole drilled 2mm lower on the lens board to see if that works.

Anyone have any experiences with S.K. Grimes?

Quote Originally Posted by danchan View Post
    Anyone have any experiences with S.K. Grimes?
    Yes, starting back when Steve was still around and continuing under Adam Dau's stewardship. Their work for me has always been excellent.

Big Bend

Re: top hat lens board

I've seen them on the auction site occasionally, but I'm not positive it's going to work for your application, you might want to investigate that, mainly the size of that rear element has to fit within the extension.

Re; SK Grimes - top notch and high marks!

EDIT: I bet Bob Salomon knows where to get a wista/technika type top hat lens board, and could also tell you if your lens will fit in it. Send him a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forks View Post
    Re: top hat lens board

I've seen them on the auction site occasionally, but I'm not positive it's going to work for your application, you might want to investigate that, mainly the size of that rear element has to fit within the extension.

Re; SK Grimes - top notch and high marks!

EDIT: I bet Bob Salomon knows where to get a wista/technika type top hat lens board, and could also tell you if your lens will fit in it. Send him a PM
    I already posted what he has to do.