Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Technikardan 45S my only option?

Re: Is the Technikardan 45S my only option?

With the 15 year old TK I use regularly the weight of a 4 lb. lens on the front standard won't cause that standard to fall once the lock is released. All the sliding motions of both front and rear standards have remained surprisingly consistent and firm but easy. The 15 year old has never been serviced, and I don't treat my gear very kindly. I'm more interested in images than equipment.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    You know, parsing this thread has reawakened my desire for a Linhof TK45. Should have spent the money back in '92, when I bought the 4x5 I've used since then. Guess I'd better buy a lottery tickrt...
    Mark, I need to re-assure you. Some of the greatest images I've seen have been made with some of the crummiest LF cameras. The advantage of precision usually manifests itself in ease of use, familiarity and experience with what one is using. The TK's were nice for the industrial work I used to do and that experience just destined me to bring them into the field. Shucks - just sell a ton of old gear and spring for a TK.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    With the 15 year old TK I use regularly the weight of a 4 lb. lens on the front standard won't cause that standard to fall once the lock is released. All the sliding motions of both front and rear standards have remained surprisingly consistent and firm but easy. The 15 year old has never been serviced, and I don't treat my gear very kindly. I'm more interested in images than equipment.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Hmmm... so after you release a lock you have to apply a bit of 'force' to use shifts or swings? And gravity won't interfere even with a heavy lens?

If I get this right, it's very appealing. Although not geared, would you say the system incorporates a great degree of precision and speed?

@Mark: Why do you think I keep on asking aaaallll these questions? The TK's are a STEAL second hand go grab one!

The lock is not on-off , binary,

but a friction brake that you have some control over.

bob

i had many 4x5 cameras... the technikardan S was the worst... in windy condition or with the 6x12 back i didn't manage to have sharp results !
    i've sold it to buy an arca swiss F line 171
    Now i have an arca swiss f line field 141/110... a really fine camera, with a really good bellow !

You know Bob, by golly you're right. All these years I've use the locks either on or off. Never thought to see if there was any intermediate friction adjustment. I just set up TK15 in my workroom and fiddled a bit with the rise and falls. That would be handy at full extension when you are viewing the screen and can't quite reach the front standard for adjustment. But fully unlocked I have no lenses heavy enough to cause the front standard to drop. Maybe my standards are stiffer than some.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

My very first view camera in the 80's was the then newly released Technikardan. I was moving up from medium format at the time. I really enjoyed the camera.

Later I went Technika when I wanted A view camera with more portability. Both are wonderful cameras.

Bob

Big Bend

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    i had many 4x5 cameras... the technikardan S was the worst... in windy condition or with the 6x12 back i didn't manage to have sharp results !
    i've sold it to buy an arca swiss F line 171
    Now i have an arca swiss f line field 141/110... a really fine camera, with a really good bellow !
    I would think the weight an advantage in windy conditions. I use mine as an anchor sometimes when fishing What was the problem with the 612 back?

Best
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    You know Bob, by golly you're right. All these years I've use the locks either on or off. Never thought to see if there was any intermediate friction adjustment. I just set up TK15 in my workroom and fiddled a bit with the rise and falls. That would be handy at full extension when you are viewing the screen and can't quite reach the front standard for adjustment. But fully unlocked I have no lenses heavy enough to cause the front standard to drop. Maybe my standards are stiffer than some.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Nate,

Yes, you can apply tension by not fully unlocking the lever. But when you move the standard without the lock fully unlocked you can cause excessive wear internally which will require the service center to make an adjustment if the lock loosens too much due to making movements without the lock fully unlocked. On horizontal movements; shifts, focus, etc. this adjustment can be made by the user with a very small screwdriver. But on rise movements the adjustment should be done by service as there are parts that will fall out and be almost impossible to find and re-install properly.

So yes, it can be done this way but it will cause wear to the locking mechanism.

valuable info, Bob(s)