Thread: Newbie Info Request

Newbie Info Request

I am brand new to the world of large format photography. I've been using 35mm film for decades, digital 35mm for about 10 years. I've recently come into possession of a Crown Graphic "Special" field/press camera with four film backs and a polaroid back. All appears to be in working order. The camera has a Graflok back. Never having used 4x5 sheet film or a LF camera before, I am looking for the someone in the Everett WA area whom I can chat with who may be able to assist me in:
    Learning the basic mechanics of this camera. (film loading, tilt, focus technique, etc.)
    Information on a good lab (preferably in the Everett WA area) for 4x5 film processing and information on creating digital images from negatives taken with this camera.
    A local source for film and accessories such as a 120 roll back for this camera.

Thanks in advance,
    Wayazo

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Newbie Info Request

Hi! I'm in Everett, close to "downtown." Sure, I can show you how to use it. Send me a PM, and we'll get together.

Unfortunately, developing the film is something you will have to do at home, or send it out. I can help you a bit with that, and give you a list of things to get from Glazer's near downtown Seattle.

The original 2x3 (6x9 approximately) roll film backs for the cameras aren't expensive, but they don't have a good reputation for holding film absolutely flat. More like Holga "good enough flat." There is a later Graflex model with a presure plate, and the more modern holders have pressure plates, too.

You'll need a scanner that can handle 4x5 negatives. I have an Epson 3200, which does a pretty decent job. I have my own enlargers, which I prefer.

I have a 6x7 Graphic roll film back I was planning to put up for sale after xmas. It is a lever-operated RH-10, and I plan to include a RH-20 for parts. The RH-20 is designed for 220 film, but its lever does not advance the film. I have not figured out a price yet. I'll be posting it in the for sale area with photos after xmas.

Thanks, Brian, I will contact you after the holidays. I have four film backs and a Polaroid back for this camera as well. I located the serial number between the focus rails. It is 944620. Any way to tell the manufacturer date and find a user manual for this specific cam?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wayazo View Post
    Thanks, Brian, I will contact you after the holidays. I have four film backs and a Polaroid back for this camera as well. I located the serial number between the focus rails. It is 944620. Any way to tell the manufacturer date and find a user manual for this specific cam?

Bill
    Spend some time at Graflex.org
    I think you might find the manual here:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pacemak...aker_crown.htm

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

If the Polaroid back is a 550, then you can use Fuji instant film with it. If it is the 545, then it isn't worth much, because nobody produces Polaroid-compatible sheet film, and the odd pack on eBay costs $200 an up.

Locally, nobody is doing 4x5 development any longer. Panda labs is rumored to offer 4x5 development next year, but I've also heard that they've been saying that for a while. I have a Yankee tank I can give you to get started if you want to develop B&W at home.

Previous thread: 8x10 color film labs in washington state?