Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaubel Makiflex Single Slide Back - HELP.

Plaubel Makiflex Single Slide Back - HELP.

Hello All,

I recently acquired (from Germany) an Automatic-Iris Plaubel Makiflex Body, with a Single Shot Back attached to it. I have a Plaubel Makiflex 4x5 Back, which I use with Graphic and Linhof filmholders, Graphmatics, etc. But this one is a different style, which I am not familar with. I want to buy some sheet film (single-shot) film holders to fit it, so that I can use it. There was a little silver tag on the holder, but it has come off, so there is nothing marked on the holder, to give me a clue what to look for.

The original Plaubel catalog for the Makiflex lists the following:

#97324 31/4x31/4 back for Single Slides 4x5" MX1/537
    #97486 4x5" Universal Holder for Plates & Sheet Film (use with MX1/537) SG1/377

By my measurements, the holder would be approximately 101mmx140mmx7mm. Is anyone able to tell me what holders I should be looking for, to get this back operational? Thank you All for your help!

Here is what the back looks like. A 4x5" Graphic holder is too big to fit. Perhaps this takes 9x12cm Single Shot plates?
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Plaubel Makiflex Single Slide Back - HELP.

The regular sheet metal plate holder back is slide-in. By the catalog description it sounds most plausible for this to be a (International) spring holder back with additional sheet metal plate adapter. Sure that thing does not separate into two pieces?

Hi Sevo,
    Thanks for your response!

No, It's definately all one piece. I will need to disassemble it however, to re-do the foam lighttrapping on the inside, facing the camera body. It is quite old and rotten, and falling apart. I think I can take it apart, by removing the two large screws, holding the bail together. Will try to do that later today, It's very cold out in my workshop.

I'm sure this is a single shot plate holder from the looks of it, I'm wondering what types of film holders will fit it? Perhaps Zeiss? Plaubel? Any other possibilities? I'm also wondering whether it takes 9x12cm or 4x5" single shot holders?

Here's another view, with the bail fully open, showing where you would insert the very thin single shot plate. BTW I have a 6x9cm Plaubel Peco Jr back, which takes unusual 6x9cm single shot plates, which have no markings on them at all. Also from Germany. My feeling is that this is something similar, on a larger scale.

― Mark Twain

Here is what is inside, after undoing the four screws on the back piece. Flipped open, you can see the innards, including the rotting light trap. I will redo it, using 3mm thick lighttrapping foam, then it will be good to go.

Still need some holders

― Mark Twain

OK Will These Work?
    Measures 100mmx165mmx5mm according to the seller.
    Are these the correct holders?
    Anybody know who makes these?
    If not right, I guess I need something -very- similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

― Mark Twain

Maybe, or maybe not - it is nearly impossible to tell by a frontal view. The edges are most critical - there were five or six different "Falz" standards for the guide rails that determine whether the holder fits a given back. To make matters worse, some Falz series had additional subtypes by length, locking structures and film plane position. Unfortunately few to no sellers are able to give specifics from which all critical details can be identified. But close-up pictures of the edges of both holders and back would already eliminate the risk of buying something obviously wrong...

OK Thanks Again Sevo.
    Perhaps I should contact Plaubel, and see if they can help me identify which back this is, and give me the catalog number of the back, and the appropriate sheet holders.
    I will give that a try, and that's probably my best bet.

www.plaubel.com
    info@plaubel.com

― Mark Twain

I doubt whether Plaubel can help you!
    I take it the Plaubel is somewhat later then 1926. After this date most German manufacturers standardised around thr "Normal" edge design and width - led by Zeiss-Ikon products.
    I can find the back serial numbers later to-day. Where are you based?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I doubt whether Plaubel can help you!
    I take it the Plaubel is somewhat later then 1926. After this date most German manufacturers standardised around thr "Normal" edge design and width - led by Zeiss-Ikon products.
    I can find the back serial numbers later to-day. Where are you based?
    Steven,
    Thank you for your help! I have three Makiflexes, and they date as early to middle 1960's vintage cameras. I had a feeling that Zeiss-Ikon plates may fit this, but I'm not sure. I know they made a lot of plate cameras. I am based in the midwestern United States. I can make camera and photo purchases in Europe via the internet and Paypal.
    -Dan

― Mark Twain

I'll check some widths tonight and get back to you.