Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP--which color print film for a wedding?

HELP--which color print film for a wedding?

I used Portra 400VC for one wedding season and then I switched to Agfa Optima 400 II after that. I just don't see any quality difference between the major league films except that the Agfa is 2/3's the price.

About year ago Photo Techniques did a test on all of the pro ISO 400 prints films and I fully expected the Agfa film to bring up the rear. Well in the vast majority of testing areas it actually won! the only thing that the Agfa doesn't do well is when you need to push it. I guess there's a significant colour shift when you try it, so I've promised myself that I won't!

I would strongly suggest that whatever brand you choose, that you use an ISO 400 film. Your flash will be a stop and a third more powerful and you won't be dropping down nearly as far for available light shots in the church. One year I bought a box of ISO 160 film and a few rolls of 400 for emergiencies. Then I found that I was using the 400 first while ignoring the 160. So bye bye 160!

Thank you all for your responses. I was leaning toward Fuji NPS and NPH films, and since the predominance of your comments affirmed my inclination, that's what I'll go with.

One final concern. I'm meticulous about exposure, so I will not carelessly underexpose. However, I'm wondering if I should expose at the rated speed or overexpose a little. I assume with color negative films underexposure should be avoided. But I want maximum saturation and sharpness, so I don't want to overexpose if it's not necessary. What do you guys do? Incidentally, I'll be stuck shooting at virtually high noon--sigh!

I've shot NPH and NC side by side and NPH always gives me a redder skin no matter where I get it processed. NC was totally neutral and in my estimation a better way to go if not doing your own processing. Forget grain with either.

Ted,

I've shot weddings with Kodak's Portra NC series, Portra VC series and Fuji's NPS. They all have their merits and you can't go wrong using any of them. The best thing to do is to test them all beforehand with the lab you use. I've heard from other users here on this and other forums that Lab chemistry has alot to do with the final "look". Fuji Labs are optimized for Fuji product and Kodak Labs are optimized for Kodak product. Talk to your local pro Lab. I'm sure they will be happy to tell you which brand(s) of chemistry and paper they use.

Good Luck!