Page 216 of 406 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 4060

Thread: Nude

Re: Nude

Quote Originally Posted by tigger_six View Post
    While I agree that some photos here (but definitely not Ed's) might have rather flat lighting, I really dislike this example image you posted and wish you had posted something actually helpful.
    You wrote that you did not like the image I pointed to. Fine. But you offered no rationale. How is that helpful in a category that asks for critiques, or comments, especially when you offer no reason but accuse me of the same.

Visual discourse is difficult. I offered an example to provoke more examples and you chose instead an attempt to terminate the spirit of visual dialog. That is Not encouraging to the rest of us.

Ed explained very well the difficulties of his chosen method. We have been enlightened by his input.

Your response could be seen as pandering. Convince me it is not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    You wrote that you did not like the image I pointed to. Fine. But you offered no rationale. How is that helpful in a category that asks for critiques, or comments, especially when you offer no reason but accuse me of the same.

Visual discourse is difficult. I offered an example to provoke more examples and you chose instead an attempt to terminate the spirit of visual dialog. That is Not encouraging to the rest of us. ...
    Both responses were probably a little short.

Fact remains that pointing to an image which is made in a very different style and technique does not constitute a critique. That's like looking at a Rembrandt and saying it's no good because you like modern sculpture.

A dialogue can only start if you mention why the light in the image does not work and maybe how it can be improved within the confines of the technique. I don't think you can critique a photograph only on aesthetics. Although there are now many possibilities to make the image you want, we are still artisans too and bound by technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I did not think my critique of a image that I do not know where it comes from is of a particular value. (I understand critique as trying to help the author, in this case I don't know if the author reads the board, are you the author? I did not understand that if yes.)

But if you insist, I dislike the black negative space on the right, since the light source on the left makes me want to see more
    of the left part of the scene. I dislike the very strong contrast which makes her nose pop up like if it was simply done in post (the lack of light wrapping around is strange, it wraps OK on her neck and forehead but her nose is like if someone cut it out with scissors), and in particular I don't like the blown highlight on her neck, which draws my attention away from the actual face and on the blurry hair behind the hot spot. The composition in total is awkward to me, since the head comes from the left into the center making the image unbalanced. In general, the image seems to break many rules and I am uncomfortable when I look at it, but it doesn't seem this was the feeling the author was trying to convey.

Kat Kalashnikov. 5x7 tintypes. Dallmeyer 3B, 5-to-15 seconds (fading outdoor light). I had just pulled my silver bath from my truck (from the Yosemite trip) and it needs a good sunning/cleaning. The first plate shows the dross (love that word). It settled down pretty quickly though, for the follow-up plates.

Ed Ross

Love the first one, Ed, especially the "dross." (I agree, great word.) Interesting how her tattoos get somewhat commingled with the murk and muck.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Love the first one, Ed, especially the "dross." (I agree, great word.) Interesting how her tattoos get somewhat commingled with the murk and muck.

Jonathan
    agree.

It almost looks like you have done it on purpose.

(Almost like I like to "kill my Darlings")

Quote Originally Posted by life_in_sepia View Post
    Kat Kalashnikov. 5x7 tintypes. Dallmeyer 3B, 5-to-15 seconds (fading outdoor light). I had just pulled my silver bath from my truck (from the Yosemite trip) and it needs a good sunning/cleaning. The first plate shows the dross (love that word). It settled down pretty quickly though, for the follow-up plates.

Superb images Ed. Don't you get tired
    The "dross" rules in image No. 1. Go Kat go!

Thanks!
    Ed Ross

Emil, this is very beautiful! Is it a recent one? Hello to Stine!

Best Regards,

Christo

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    There are a few photographers left who make images with visible light.... it almost seems to be a very few..

But here's one:

PWL
    Neg highly manipulated (cigarette ashes)
    POL 655

www.christo.stankulov.com