Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Graphic

Speed Graphic

Are there speed graphics made specifically for roll film or it's simply just a matter of switching the film holder between 4x5 and roll film?

and what are the differences between speed, crown and super graphics? I'm thinking about getting one with the kodak ektar lens, maybe.

Re: Speed Graphic

Run, do not walk, to www.graflex.org and read the FAQs. After you've read them, ask questions about what you don't understand. You'll get better answers there than here.

Just beware that the miniature Speed Graphics and their competitor Busch Pressman models came with two different backs. (As do the 5x4 models).

One type is for cut film holders, rather impractical these days but not impossible although expensive. The later type allows the use of Graflex & similar roll film backs and these are the ones to go for if you want to use 120 backs.

The Super Graphic was Graflex's rather late competitor to the Linhof's and MPP's, later made in Japan by Toyo.

Ian

Ian, you forgot that Graphics were offered with Graflex backs too. As I said, this forum is not the best place to get information about Graflex' products.

The graphic roll film camera is the Century Graphic sometimes called a baby graphic. It was desgned to use either roll film holders or sheet film holders depending on the model purchased. Look for the type that allows for attachment of a roll film adapter. It only allows for tilt of the front standard. The roll film holders come in 6X6, 6X7 and 6X9. Make sure it is not a 3X4 film size as this film size is not made and is worthless for taking pictures.

You can also use roll film adapters on a View camera provided it has the type of back that can take the roll film holder.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Wally, I said in post #2 in this thread that this forum is the wrong place to get good advice about Graphics. Your post #5 proved my point.

Get you to www.graflex.org and read the FAQs.

There is also a Graflex XL which is a roll film range finder camera and these come up on E Bay from time to time. I think a similar one was made in Japan and was called the Koni Omega!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Certainly spend plenty of time with the Graflex site before investing in a graphic. Meanwhile to answer your specific questions, no there were no speed graphics made specifically for roll film but those with a graflok back were made to be adaptable for Graphic's roll film holder as well as sheet film. The differences between speed and crown graphic is that the speed has a focal plane shutter and the crown does not. Speed and Crown models have a wood body (under leather), the Super and Super Speed Graphics have a metal body and no focal plane shutter. The Century Graphic has a plastic body. I'd add that the Calumet aka Cambo type roll film holder can be used on a spring-back camera and doesn't require removing the ground glass assembly when used on a graflok.

Quote Originally Posted by ki6mf View Post
    There is also a Graflex XL which is a roll film range finder camera and these come up on E Bay from time to time. I think a similar one was made in Japan and was called the Koni Omega!
    The Graflex XL is a re-badged camera Graflex saw that as a way forward they and MPP (UK) also sold the same re-badged 35mm camera,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ki6mf View Post
    That would be the mamiya press cameras.