Thread: Scan file size

Scan file size

I have just purchased a new Epson V700 scanner and am confused by file sizes.
    I have done a search and read a number of threads but am still confused by the
    size of files I should be using.
    I am scanning 4x5 , med format, and 35mm
    I am confused about the size I should scan at and then what size should
    I save it at to upload it to a printer.

thanks
    Jim Olson

Re: Scan file size

Hi, check out the website www.scantips.com for info on scanning.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Jim,

Depending on how well you set up your Epson, it's capable of resolving about 2300-2700 samples per inch. You want to make sure that your film is held at the best height, and the only way to find that out is to do some tests.

To get started, it might not be a bad idea to scan everything at around 2400 spi. This will give different file sizes depending on the size film.

Regarding printers, it depends on the printer. For many Epson, the best sized file to give them is 720 dpi at the image size. Many people, though, use 360 dpi. With Canons and HPs, I believe that 600 dpi is ideal, although many people use 300 dpi.

Hope that helps.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Preston Birdwell

Here's what I do, if it's any help...

1. Scan the film at the highest opitical resolution of your scanner. In your case 2400 spi. Save the file.

2. Duplicate the scanned file. This will become your master file.

3. Make all tonal and color adjusments to the master file. Save this file under a new name.

4. When you want to print, duplicate the master file, size it as needed, sharpen as needed and then save it under a different name.

The foregoing does create additional files, but your raw (unedited) scan file is untouched and can be reused, if needed.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    The foregoing does create additional files, but your raw (unedited) scan file is untouched and can be reused, if needed.
    There shouldn't be a need to create additional files. Just use adjustment layers and smart objects and you preserve the original pixels.

Thanks for all the tips
    jim

I prefer a system similar to what Preston uses. First, I have a folder called "photos" on it's own drive. In it I have folders called "Captures," "working files," "web," and "final". Under captures, I have "Nikon D200" and "Scans". All of my captures go into the appropriate folder. When I work with the file, the first thing I do is to make a copy in the raw converter, or rename the scanned file in Photoshop, and save it to the working files folder. This does mean that there are duplicates, but storage is cheap.

Having all of my files on one drive in one folder, i.e. in the Photo folder, makes it easy to back everything up.

I do regularly use adjustment layers, but I'm not a fan of smart objects.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Here's what I do, if it's any help...

1. Scan the film at the highest opitical resolution of your scanner. In your case 2400 spi. Save the file.

2. Duplicate the scanned file. This will become your master file.

3. Make all tonal and color adjusments to the master file. Save this file under a new name.

4. When you want to print, duplicate the master file, size it as needed, sharpen as needed and then save it under a different name.

--P
    My computer cannot handle large files. Takes forever, so I scan as you suggest and make a smaller, lower res. copy and work on that, using adjustment layers. I then apply those changes/layers to the larger image, go make some coffee while the computer chugs away but save a lot of time. Don't know if this is helpful or not.