Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Bellows Toyo-Field 45AII

Re: Replacement Bellows Toyo-Field 45AII

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I think you would be spending more than $350 for an Ebony. I would see how much it costs for CLA. If reasonable, you will have a nearly new camera if you replace the bellows also.
    LOL. Really, Jerold !! ;-)

My mind works in the miraculous ways of those with terminal collectivitis. The 45AII with a couple of APO Symmars thrown in plus all the associated Toyo 'stuff', plus $350 I would be spending anyway, plus maybe $1000 or so, should land a gently pre-loved 'basic' Ebony. Then, you subtract $350 from $1000, and it's a net $650 changeover. A new lens or two for next to nothing ..., and I have an Ebony set up.

Saves getting a new bellows that way.

At least, that's the math they use at the Fed Reserve. LOL

OTOH, for $350 I can have a almost shiny new 45AII with up to speed factory specs. Hmmm...

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Colin J Clarke View Post
    LOL. Really, Jerold !! ;-)

My mind works in the miraculous ways of those with terminal collectivitis. The 45AII with a couple of APO Symmars thrown in plus all the associated Toyo 'stuff', plus $350 I would be spending anyway, plus maybe $1000 or so, should land a gently pre-loved 'basic' Ebony. Then, you subtract $350 from $1000, and it's a net $650 changeover. A new lens or two for next to nothing ..., and I have an Ebony set up.

Saves getting a new bellows that way.

At least, that's the math they use at the Fed Reserve. LOL

OTOH, for $350 I can have a almost shiny new 45AII with up to speed factory specs. Hmmm...

CC
    Colin, other than our PMs, If you are not in a hurry, and if you would settle for a Chen Hao ($500.00) instead of a Ebony, I may have mine up for sale if I decide to get a Chamonix.
    Dave

DIYcamerakit can supply you with a pattern or kit with appropriate material for under $100.
    But! I believe the boss & chief cook & bottle washer is out of the country 'til the first of the year. To order the stuff, he has an online form you use to give him dimensions & it's computer generated for your camera. He's got a how-to video on his site that makes it look real easy.
    I'm most likely going to order one for my 5X7 Deardorff when he gets back.

I used one of the ebay Hong Kong bellows for my 45A. Price was right and installation not too difficult but...The material is not too thin in fact it is too thick.

I can not compress the bellows enough to close the camera completely, it wouldn't latch. I would suspect that also means focusing a short lens would be an issue as well although right now I'm only using a 150 mm lens.

JGB

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bradley View Post
    I used one of the ebay Hong Kong bellows for my 45A. Price was right and installation not too difficult but...The material is not too thin in fact it is too thick.

I can not compress the bellows enough to close the camera completely, it wouldn't latch. I would suspect that also means focusing a short lens would be an issue as well although right now I'm only using a 150 mm lens.

JGB
    Really appreciating all the feedback from Forum members. Very nice!

Jim, your comment about the thickness of the HK bellows is the third such finding I have read about in the past week, just 'googling' around. In fact, I can't remember which HK supplier now, but I read on their own HK site that it "may" prevent closing the clamshell on 45s.

Looks more and more like the most sensible option (if not the economic route) is to send it to MAC for the bellows and CLA. I'll pretty much have a 'new' camera body after that. Buying the OEM bellows from MAC is quite expensive anyhow, and even a Japanese quote was almost $200 landed in the US. So, practically speaking, the extra expense is reasonable. Should give the 45 another 20 years of life ....

I'll give my 'review' after I get the work done.

Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    DIYcamerakit can supply you with a pattern or kit with appropriate material for under $100.
    But! I believe the boss & chief cook & bottle washer is out of the country 'til the first of the year. To order the stuff, he has an online form you use to give him dimensions & it's computer generated for your camera. He's got a how-to video on his site that makes it look real easy.
    I'm most likely going to order one for my 5X7 Deardorff when he gets back.
    Thanks, John. Interesting link! I'm sure it will be helpful for anyone looking for oddball sizes, or older bodie where parts are not available anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hally View Post
    Colin, other than our PMs, If you are not in a hurry, and if you would settle for a Chen Hao ($500.00) instead of a Ebony, I may have mine up for sale if I decide to get a Chamonix.
    Dave
    LOL. Thanks, Dave. I'm only 'dreaming' about the Ebony. I have no perfectly good reason to change horses. (Although that hasn't stopped me before. ;-) ) I have read the magazine reviews for the Cham ...impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin J Clarke View Post
    LOL. Thanks, Dave. I'm only 'dreaming' about the Ebony. I have no perfectly good reason to change horses. (Although that hasn't stopped me before. ;-) ) I have read the magazine reviews for the Cham ...impressive.
    Well, A local Photographer just came by and let me look at and set up his Chamonix. I am going to order one of the maple ones due next year. The Shen Hao will go up for sale shortly, and I will continue to use the Toyo until the Chamonix comes in, and then it will go up for sale also.
    Good luck with your bellows.
    Dave

I know that the topic here is bellows for a 45AII but i was wondering if anyone had insight into a 45 and 810G. I just acquired both and they need new bellows. I was bale to remove the old (incredibly) beat up ones from their frames and remove all the excess glue. I have seen replacements for them on e-bay without the frames for a lot less money then other sources. Is it possible to attach these carefully to the original frames? They're made in japan and I have no idea about their quality. Here's the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bellows-TOYO-810...#ht_3287wt_902

I appreciate any insight and prior experience if you have it.

Smile Re: Replacement Bellows Toyo-Field 45AII

Hello All:

I just wanted to follow up and report on what I did to replace the bellows.

Depending on your point of view I took the easy way, the smart way, the most expensive way, or the @#&%* way. The result, however, is excellent !

I decided to send the camera body (less back) to Mamiya (MAC) who handle the Toyo work. I called ahead of that, asking for a ballpark figure and was told $350, plus shipping return.

I sent the body via UPS Surface with insurance ($16) on the 22nd November (Thanksgiving Week). I got the camera back, UPS with signature required, on 2nd December. Allowing for shipping time, I think they had the body for two (maybe three) full working days. I give them 10/10 for quick turnaround, and coming in under estimate.

They fitted a new Toyo OEM bellows, cleaned, lubed, adjusted knob tensions etc to factory specs. Total cost, including the return shipping - $320.00. Given that I basically have a new camera (especially when I touch up a couple of very small paint nicks), I think it was the right choice. I could have gone elsewhere, or bought a DIY bellows from HK, but the 45A series is not designed for easy changeover. (My 45C is a 10 minute job). I'm glad I decided to let Toyo (Mamiya) fix it.

Just thought I could close this thread off with the final decision and result.

Thanks for the help, all.

Colin