Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Bellows Toyo-Field 45AII

Replacement Bellows Toyo-Field 45AII

Hope this is the correct forum ...

I need to replace the bellows on a Toyo 45AII. Before I dish out $200? including fitting and return shipping to Toyo/Mamiya (from SC), may I ask:

On the Toyo 45 series, is this a DIY project for a somewhat handy person?

If so, any tips from someone who has done it, including "whatever you do, don't do ..."

And if I bypass the official repair shop, where is the best place to get a new bellows ... I see the HK version on the Bay, but I wonder is it from rice paper, or is it decent enough.

Thanks.

Octogenarian

Re: Replacement Bellows Toyo-Field 45AII

It's not a DIY project.

If you want it done right, bite the bullet and send it to MAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin J Clarke View Post
    Hope this is the correct forum ...

I need to replace the bellows on a Toyo 45AII. Before I dish out $200? including fitting and return shipping to Toyo/Mamiya (from SC), may I ask:

On the Toyo 45 series, is this a DIY project for a somewhat handy person?

If so, any tips from someone who has done it, including "whatever you do, don't do ..."

And if I bypass the official repair shop, where is the best place to get a new bellows ... I see the HK version on the Bay, but I wonder is it from rice paper, or is it decent enough.

Thanks.
    I replaced the bellows on my 45A myself. It is not difficult. I got mine from the MAC Group. I think it was about $200.00 for the bellows and shipping.
    You need a small, HIGH QUALITY phillips screwdriver (I used a Craftsman Precision series screwdriver). Don't force the screws! Mine were tight, but they came loose with steady pressure.
    I don't have the camera here in front of me, and I don't remember exactly, but it goes back on exactly the way it comes off. For the back end, there are 2 (IIRC) screws on each side, for a total of 8. The part I don't remember is if you access them from the back of the standard (after removing the revolving back), or from the front, alongside the bellows. If you sccess them from the back, then I think the bellows comes out of the back of the camera, as opposed top coming off the front of the standard. If it does come out of the back, then undo the front standard first!
    The same for the front.
    Mine had a thin layer of sealant, so I used a very thin bead of black silicone seal on the face of the bellows flange that goes against the body. If you need more info, PM me and I'll look at the camera and old bellows when I get home.
    Good Luck,
    Dave

Many thanks for both replies (... so far ... hint hint).

Just an update.

I called Mamiya/Toyo Repair, Elmsford, NY (MAC) this morning, to get a current price for a simple bellows replacement. I explained there was no body damage, and no need for a CLA. Excluding shipping, the price was "around $350, maybe a little more. We have to see it first ...". I got the impression that it was very low on the list of priorities at MAC, and when I enquired if the extra $30 "expedite" fee on the MAC website was applicable, I was told "not on that stuff". Bottomline ... once they have the body, then we talk firm pricing.

Anyone here used MAC lately for Toyo service? On a scale of 1-10 (10 best), anyone want to rate the service?

Octogenarian

The quality of service on Mamiya and Toyo products from MAC is excellent (9+).

Although pricey, they respond quickly, only use genuine factory parts, and stand behind their work.

They will put the camera back into factory specs.

A bellows replacement might seem like a simple procedure. However, on fixed bellows metal Toyo cameras, it is not as simple as it looks.

There are many (difficult to remove and replace) screws and an adhesive that is almost impossible to clean off. Also, the front and rear bellows frames are difficult to replace properly.

After owning both a 45AX and a 45AII, I switched to an Ebony that had an easily replaceable bellows.

I've never dealt with MAC. Their prices, though, are notoriously high.

You should get a quote from Custom Bellows in the UK. They used to be known as Camera Bellows. They make oem bellows for many companies, including (I believe) Sinar, Linhof, Canham.... I've had them make a bellows for a Linhof III a number of years ago, and it was excellent.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Octogenarian

Peter,

Finding a replacement bellows for a Toyo 45AII is not difficult.

Removing the old bellows and installing a new one is where the difficulty occurs.

The Toyo "A"'s were designed with fixed bellows, not replaceable bellows.

Thanks, Peter, and Gem Singer.

I have read about the UK company. But the issue appears to be the fitting, rather than the finding of a bellows for this common and long lived camera model body.

As GS has now pointed out that in his experience, 1. MAC is 'excellent' and 2. they "will put the camera back into factory specs", it seems there is added value over the apparent hourly rate of $150 (more than a brain surgeon and less than my plumber).

There is no problem other than the bellows, and if the previous owner (MFA student) had folded the camera away with any attention to the bellows, it would still be 100%. But the first three or four folds behind the lens board are a total mess and actually seem to hang down too far into the body of the bellows inner space when at infinity extension (although with the 210 at least, the inner element protudes deep enough to avoid the 'bag' bellows bit I think. I'm probably being overly cautious, but then again, I care for my cameras, and still have the first RFs and TLRs I bought in the early 1960s (and they have seen a lot of service and travel).

So, unless I hear/read of another way to go in the next few days, it seems I should send this "A" to MAC, or trade it on an Ebony ... ;-)

Thanks.

Colin

I think you would be spending more than $350 for an Ebony. I would see how much it costs for CLA. If reasonable, you will have a nearly new camera if you replace the bellows also.

CB replaced the bellows, i.e, they made and installed the bellows, on my Linhof Tech III, another metal field camera with non-replaceable bellows. I agree, though, that MAC might be a better idea if the cost is similar, as MAC does not involve sending the camera overseas, and they can check out the operation of the whole camera. I'd still get a price from CB.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know