Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's with Calumet lately?

Re: What's with Calumet lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Add the store in Escondido to those where the customer comes not first, but last. I am among those who spent years buying from Calumet and no longer do so. The clerks at the Escondido store are often gathered in groups having personal conversations while customers wait. I have been there for the last time.
    Strange. Exactly the same I found in the Calumet store in NY - in 1994! For a moment I even had the impression that it was not a shop, just some business representation. Must be some corporate culture? Nevertheless, the Horseman 6x9 RF holder I bough there serves well all the time - unlike the 5x7 Cambo (?)spring back that never made it to a home made P&S camera...

I'd have to agree with the others. I'm liking Freestyle better every day because of the cheap private label films and papers. Beats B&H and Calumet by a mile.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Last week I received a 50 sheet box of Porta 160-NC that I had ordered from B&H for a total cost of $110. If I purchased it elsewheres, I would have had to pay $126 + tax and any shipping. I saved at least $25.

BTW, it's tax-free at Calumet stores this weekend.

LF nub

I also buy most of my film from B&H and Freestyle. B&H is great because they are usually the cheapest on the net, and there's no tax. Some purchases even come with free shipping for further savings. I always use the the cheapest/free shipping so sometimes it takes about a week to get to me seeing as I'm in CA. They're also very friendly on the phone whenever I've needed customer service so I highly endorse them.

Freestyle is also very good, though usually slightly higher price points than B&H and because I'm in CA I have to pay taxes on all purchases. But the bonus is that I receive my items much more quickly. So my methodology is: If it's a big purchase I don't need now I buy from B&H, if it's a smaller purchase and I need it asap I usually go Freestyle.

Last time I went to Calumet in SF I needed a Sinar Copal 0 lens board and half of the guys in there didn't know what the hell I was talking about. I had to wait 15 minutes for the one guy in the store who had an understanding of film products to come man the analog counter and see if they had anything. After the wait he was quite helpful though, and was able to find the board I needed at a decent price for a chain store ~ $49. Regardless, I don't bother with them anymore and go to either JustFilm, or Photographers Supply for my film and darkroom needs when in the City. Both of these store offer MUCH better friendly service and I highly recommend them.

Ahhh, new corporate ownership! I remember when Ritz & Wolf bought up all the mom & pop camera shops, & turned them all into worhless photo boutiques.
    Thanks Bob, you solved the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    No,

"With the uniting of Calumet Photographic in the United States and Keith, Johnson and Pelling, a retail chain in the United Kingdom; Netherlands, Belgium and Germany locations followed. The company developed a global focus. This global focus expanded further in 1998"

They are British owned.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Not very new. They have been British owned for quite a few years and for several upper management changes here in the US.