Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fall color enhancing

Re: Fall color enhancing

Thanks Brian. I do get that now after my bit of googling yesterday.

Thanks for the links. I am particularly interested in why the Singh-Ray guy feels that multi coatings are not ideal.

And why does B+W not offer the kaeseman style with multi coatings in a linear polarizer, but they do in a circular?

This might really blow your mind: Lee makes a square circular polarizer.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Kaesemann polarizer technical data, 2Mb PDF

Mr. Kaesemann developed an improved circular polarizer. Ed Land developed the linear polarizer.

Mr. Kaesemann made just about every type of photographic and scientific polarizer and overall contributed more to their development than Mr. Land. But the only product still sold under his name twenty years after being amalgamated with B+W/Schneider is the all cemented and edge sealed circular polarizer.

Also I have 2 lenses, a 90mm with a 67mm size and a 210 with a 72mm size. If I get a step up ring will that impede the performance of the 90 (which is somewhat wideish) as far as vignetting?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Step-up rings are quite thin, so it wouldn't be a problem at all.

With the filter on the front of the lens, the in-coming light would be reflected out away from the lens. Light reflected from film/lens elements heading back out of the lens would be reflected back in. I would guess that both surfaces of any lens element has the same coating, so the outermost lens surface of most lenses is mult-coated and doesn't reflect much light. Probably Singh-Ray feels manufacturing issues out weigh the benefit. I couldn't find any details either.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Thanks Brian. I do get that now after my bit of googling yesterday.

Thanks for the links. I am particularly interested in why the Singh-Ray guy feels that multi coatings are not ideal.

And why does B+W not offer the kaeseman style with multi coatings in a linear polarizer, but they do in a circular?

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Mr. Kaesemann made just about every type of photographic and scientific polarizer and overall contributed more to their development than Mr. Land.
    I don't think so. In "Die Polarisationsfilter und das polarisierte Licht in der Photographie" (The polarizing filters and the polarized light in photography) from M. Haase Jena printed in 1943, reprinted in 1946 at Ann Arbor Michigan, Edwin Land's contributions to linear and circular polarizers where called more important. But in this times many patents in the field of polizers where granted. Also a patent from E. Kaesemann in France and Swizerland.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Thanks all. I'll try a polarizer, perhaps a warming polarizer. Though I am running out of time for the fall colors. There's aways next year...
    I had a Tiffen enhancing filter for many years... until last year when I fumbled when trying to install it and dropped it. Smashed it to smithers. What an expensive mistake that was. I've been meaning to replace it but other purchases always seem to take priority.

If you PM me with an email address I'll send you a couple of comparison photos... with and without the enhancer on fall colors. Cheers.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

So I got a cheap, generic brand ("promaster," which is probably rebranded hoya but maybe not) red enhancer in the mail today. It's uncoated and, um, green.

As seen against tungsten light it's straight-up green. Against shade it's closer to neutral with a very slight green tint, but then I put it against some warm sunlight (4800ºK?) and it looks neutral with a slight red tint if anything. Looking at slides through it at 5000ºK it turns greens bluer and reds...the same. Weird, subtle filter.

My guess is some of the other red enhancers stack on a magenta filter to compensate, maybe? Or maybe things will look different once I use it with film. That said, after photoshopping everything else to match it does seem to improve orange significantly. It would be a nice filter for shooting pumpkins.