Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Selecting An Enlarger

Help Selecting An Enlarger

I second the opinion about the Durst 138. They can be found rather cheap these days and they are indeed built like tanks. (But much easier to drive. :-) They are big, but the 7 feet plus height does pay off in the fact that you can easily change from a 8X10" print to a 24X30" in less than a minute. I have seen ads in Sweden where these machines are for sale at about $500. (I bought mine some 15 years ago for $1600, including a rare original Durst coldlight head, but it has certainly payed off the investment.) You can find some good info about the Durst 138 series at Durst Pro USA.

If you are looking for an enlarger that will fit on a bench without needing holes cut in the ceiling.... have a look at the Durst Laborator 1200 (http://www.durst.it/uk/produkte.asp?pid=16&hid=3). Mine (bought used 580 GBP this year) has the CLS450 dichroic head.

Projects to 24x20 onto the baseboard with the head fully extended (5x4 inch neg & 150mm lens). For larger prints, head swivels 90deg for wall projection or whole column can be rotated 180deg (4 bolts to unscrew so a bit fiddly) to project on to floor with weighted baseboard. One day, I may make a height adjustable baseboard bench for it...

Cheers, and good hunting....

multiplex

scott i have been using an omega d3v enlarger for about 12 years and really can't say anything bad about it. the enlarger is built like a tank, and works pretty well. mine was actually a contract enlarger built for the air force to enlarge aerial film so it has condensors that are 7" instead of the usual 6 1/2 (?) inch condensors. for that reason i have trouble finding negative carriers.

I have an Chromega D5 XL with the colour head and it's as good a 4x5 enlarger as you'll find. In this part of the world you'll find five D series Omega enlargers for every 4x5 Durst or Besler. Subsequently you'll find more used bits like film holders available. Add good glass like Schneider Componon-S lenses or better and you're all set.

Having said that, if I was starting my photography business right now I'd forget all about a printing darkroom. Processing your film is still a good idea but I'd go with an excellent film scanner. In medium format that would be something like the Nikon 8000 and rumour has it that a 4x5 scanner from Nikon with the same specs isn't far away.

Then add either a great inkjet printer or a dye-sub model. Every day darkroom paper stock is being discontinued while inkjet paper stocks are being introduced.

I wonder how long companies like Omega will be around or at least manufacturing parts for increasingly obsolescent products. Will enlarger bulbs be available? Probably, but what's the plan if they aren't?

The cost for the digital printing "darkroom" even with a very expensive scanner will be less than a darkroom unless you manage to get everything used. Just price a set of new print tongs to see how overpriced new darkroom accessories are.

Another factor of expense is how much are you paying for that dedicated room in your house? You obviously have a computer already and almost certainly a printer of some sort. A scanner won't take up much room on top of that but a darkroom? I assume that you'll want plumbing and ventilation and you turn a room into something that will have one use. If you look at all the expense you'll see how much less expensive (and safer) digital is.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not interested in going the digital route for a variety of reasons. I have a top of the line Mac, am fluent in PhotoShop, etc... However, LF photography is a hobby for me and I like the process as much as the result. Unless you make a living from photography, I also don't believe the cost/performance ratio of digital is even close to traditional methods yet, particularly for people shooting LF who want larger prints. The Nikon 8000 scanner you mention scans only 35mm and medium format, the 4x5 options out there are few and cost $6500 and up. As a result, I'm commited to making tradional prints.

If you can, go with the DeVere. It took me over 20 years before I was in the pos ition to purchase one. The wait was well worth it. They are built for more then one life time. Pity I wont be here to use it the second time around. Regards,

It's already been said, but the 138 Laborator really is great to work with. I only got one recently and can't say I've ever worked with a more solid enlarger. Used they go for a decent price these days and are well worth the investment. Vertical/Horizontal in no time, smooth operation, and if it turns you on - tilts - enough to make Scheimpflug jealous.

I just ordered the Durst Laborator 1200. Highly reccomended over the competition.