Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mainer with cabin fever itching to go on a road trip, needs suggestions

Mainer with cabin fever itching to go on a road trip, needs suggestions

Hey all

I'm a Mainer and I know it's alittle early for cabin fever to set in but with my job, trying to get a website going, and other obligations I have barely been able to get out to photograph anything.

I'm going to Peru next May for a month, I'll be working for a non profit group in a small traditional weaving community in the Andes. I've been planning and saving for this trip for awhile now and really want it to come together. However I do want to take a winter trip, it's already started to snow in Maine and most days it's 47 degrees so bitter cold for photos.

I just got a Wista DX for landscaping so I would like to find a place with some remarkable landscapes and wide open areas where it's nice a warm. I'd like it to be no more than 1500 Miles from the east coast for money reasons. I've had the strangest impulse to go to the desert. Maine is mostly closed in with huge forests and tall trees, I'd really like to see wide open expanses of land especially for night photography.

Any suggestions? Or should I just head out west and see what I stumble onto? I'm no new comer to camping out either, I have a full hiking pack with featherweight tent so I plan to sleep out of my car or camp the entire trip. I'm thinking about getting the photoflex film changing tent that B&H sells for $75 anyone have experience with this item?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...g_Room_25.html

I'm also looking for a cheap hard case I can use to stick my wista and maybe the 90mm and 210mm lens in. I'm more partial to hard cases cause of the glass on the back. The camera fits in my lowepro nova soft case but I'm afraid if any pressure was put on it it'd crack the glass. I've been looking at the dirt cheap zeikos 13x11x5.5" case for $20 there's also one vaguard makes for $40 Any opinions on either of them? I'd like to spend under $50 on the case.

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-HC18...8632481&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-VGP-1...cmu_pg__header

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Mainer with cabin fever itching to go on a road trip, needs suggestions

You could go to Texas and Oklahoma. There are some wide open spaces there, and during the winter will have a different look. It can get very cold and blow like crazy.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Smokey Mountains, or Cumberland Gap area.

47 ain't too cold to be out making photos. Dress for the weather. Gray days are great for B&W shooting, and winter color is so subtle and golden hour in winter is conveniently late in the morning. Cold weather means no ticks or mosquitos or heat to deal with.

I'm living near Rockland and have started scraping my car windows in the morning now.

What sort of stuff in Maine do you like to shoot?

For Maine landscape photography you have to go for smaller tighter scenes, Eliot Porter style. He can fill a nice book with photos from the dense woods of an island one mile long. There are thousands of places like this in Maine. For bigger landscapes in Maine, visit many of the thousands of big ponds and lakes. Other wide open expanses are islands and coastal scenes of course, and visiting them out of season is a better experience.

You can fly amazingly cheap to Las Vegas. Get there, rent a car and visit the desert and outlying areas. You can actually fly lots of places pretty cheap right now. Flying with film isn't fun though.

I'd suggest the Canham plastic groundglass protectors. It looks like a document stand that is bent to clip over and protect the groundglass during camera transport.

Thanks for the advice all, to jp498 47 degrees really isn't that cold considering how cold it gets in the dead of winter. I've been out taking panorama's on my 4x5 camera in the wind and the snow for 2 hours before. However it's not always all that fun for me.

It's not really that I can't get the shots I want, it's just that I've lived in Maine my entire life and I'd like to go somewhere totally new. I went to Ireland a couple years ago and Georgia/Florida last summer and it was great to take pictures in places completely different from where I live.

I usually get out at least twice a week to take photos around my house, I concentrate on landscapes, wildlife, and astrophotography lately and Maine certainly does have a lot to offer. I go to Portland a lot for city shots and on long hikes over mountains which are abundant. I'm almost always surprised by something new certainly, or find something I didn't expect.

Maine is a great place no doubt, but there are a lot of other great places I'd like to explore. And once it starts snowing in Maine it's going to be hard to get anywhere by car, I live out in the boonies and it gets dangerous quick to drive.

Drive a few extra miles and head to Utah/AZ. Wide open spaces, great scenery and warm weather.

mmm I've been wanting to go to Arizona for awhile as well. Maybe I'll see what a plane ticket/car rental for a week or 2 would cost. It might be cheaper in the long run than driving all the way out.

Update: looks like flights one way to Arizona or surrounding area from Boston would be $100-$130 they go up $100 if I go straight out of Maine. I usually get a bus Maine-Boston for $30 round trip when flying just because it's much more expensive to fly out of Portland for some reason. Then car rentals are as low as $300 for the week from Fox Rent a Car or $500 from enterprise. But like my friends and I found out when we went to Florida they charge ALOT more in person than there online prices. Best thing might be to figure out a place I want to land and book the car online for the lowest price. So it looks like going to Arizona for a week would cost about $800 for transportation.

There's a lot of people like that here; itching to get someplace warm and different for a while in the winter. I'm very strange and like the winter perfectly well.

Sounds like fun. There's lots I'd like to see in Arizona. A big aviation museum, some cold war stuff, that'd keep me busy for a few days.

This ought to get your juices flowing. Highly recommended...

http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-...8669763&sr=1-2

A note regarding the cover photo: there was a flood at Havasupai in 2008 (after the book's publication) which did considerable damage. I suggest you google Havasupai flood and talk to some folks before considering this as a photographic destination.

Also there are a variety of Photograph America newsletters pertaining to Arizona:

http://shop.photographamerica.com/

There's even an old cold war missile silo south of Tucson, if you're into that kind of thing...

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

The biggest problem will be editing down what you want to see in one week!

Foamer

If you've never been to the Grand Canyon, my thinking is everyone should go at least once. On the way there, check out Mesa Verde in Colorado. It's possibly one of America's most under rated and under photo'd parks. It's closer and could be a destination all by itself, along with the Great Sand Dunes. If you want something closer, how about southern Florida? Sanibel Island, the Keys, Everglades. Drop in on Clyde Butcher's gallery. As for me, I'm thinking of Yellowstone in February. I'm weird.

Kent in SD