Thread: Champion Promicrol.

Champion Promicrol.

Is this developer suitable for 4x5 Ilford 100 Delta and use in a rotary Jobo processor at 24C?
    http://www.championphotochemistry.co...crol%20tds.pdf

Re: Champion Promicrol.

I don't know.

Their data sheet suggests a starting time for 24C processing with Delta 100. They even mention continuous agitation. The data sheet implies this film, developer, and machine processing are compatible.

Do you have a specific concern with this combination or are you looking for opinions from someone who has used this product?

The original was, the newer versions should be. One of the original developing agents went out of production, it was used in a non photographic application in Russia & when the use ceased it was no longer commercially viable to manufacture. Only Promicrol and Atomal/A49(Calbe) used it.

Promicrol was a highly successful May & Baker developer, they were taken over and became part of Champion.

The times listed for One shot machine processing are for Jobo & similar rotary processors.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by David Swinnard View Post
    Their data sheet suggests a starting time for 24C processing with Delta 100. They even mention continuous agitation. The data sheet implies this film, developer, and machine processing are compatible.

Do you have a specific concern with this combination or are you looking for opinions from someone who has used this product?
    I was not sure if the machine processing mentioned was for the sort used in photographic mini-labs. It is sold by Firstcall Photographic in England and looks good value for money. Yes I would like opinions if anyone has used it.

Thank you David.

As this developer is not widely known, would DDX be a better choice?
    Does any body here use it and how well does it work with Delta 100, FP4+ and T-MAX 400? I want to move away from powders (ID11).

Champion chemistryis excellentm so why not try it. Remember that at one time they ,anufactured for both Iford & Paterson, and now make all Kodak's chemistry. B&W and Colour.

Ian

In my experience Promicrol is rather harsh for general use, especially with continuous agitation. Maybe I never got to grips with it but my HP5 always came out rather too contrasty, and a bit grainy even at lower times. I stopped using it in favour of Tmax RS and Xtol.

Ilford DD-X could be a better choice if you want a liquid alternative to ID-11 (D-76).
    It is described by one of it's formulators on this page.
    Dave Butcher was a former Ilford chemist.
    http://www.davebutcher.co.uk/equipment